2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:47 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

head light switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:32 PM
DEPUTYB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring

I am good to go on installing relays for headlights, but have another question on the wiring harness. there is a small wire going from the switch to the steering column. it has a stripe on it. when we installed new switch/pigtail and applied power, this little wire burned. can anyone tell me what this wire is for??

Old 10-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Keegan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Not entirely sure.

If these relays were added for the headlights, would it be okay to pull a trailer and not worry about burning out the headlight switch, since there is less load on it? Would a separate lead be run to the rear of the truck for running lights anyway? I'm just asking because I've heard that if you pull a trailer with the lights on you will burn out the switch.

Last edited by Keegan; 10-06-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:22 PM
terrywhite
Default This may or may not help some of us.

I do not usually post here even though I do come here and read all the time, all of you guys have given me some great ideas.
Now to the point, I have this same problem, I got lucky and has only recently happened to me a couple of months ago and I have a 1996 Ram 1500 4x4. And like most of you playing with the dimmer started it working again but only for a couple of weeks.
Mine still do not work now, but if I hold my dimmer in the high beam on position like I’m changing from dim to high my lights will come on so I use that for emergency trips only for maybe like a mile or so if I get stuck after dark.
But I did find this today after 3 hours of searching, it may help some of us and maybe not.
Here is a URL that gives the recall number and issue date, if you print it and have it with you when you go to your dealer I have been told that many of them will repair the problem at least one time.
I am also told that there are some really stupid conditions about this recall so good luck, and I hope it works for at least some of you.
I will let you know if it does for me.
Here is the URL for the page
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_is_t...Dodge_Ram_1500
Also here is a URL for a complete list of recalls for our trucks.
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/recall.htm
From what I read they will only fix the 3500 series because according to some kind of stupid *** page they added to the Manuel saying that if you have a factory installed towing package that this problem should not happen and if you do not then it tell you what to do in order to keep it from happening.
Well guess what? I have a factory installed towing package and it still happened to my truck.
I was going to just post all of this from the web pages but it would be 2 or 3 pages long.

Hope this helps some of you.

Terry White

Old 11-02-2010, 03:26 PM
PeteyPub

Originally Posted by Hugh
change the switch and switch plug-in its more then likely burn't to. They sale
both together at autozone.
As to replacing the switch and the plug. Been there done that.
First all wires were melted on the plug, so chop chop replaced the burnt wires, new plug, new switch... worked for 10 maybe 20 minutes, until I put the dashboard together again. Then it magically stopped working...

Took it apart again. The Yellow wire that is on a separate plug, (plugs into the switch), was melted, and it started melting the new wires that were touching it... So at least i know which wire is overheating.

Also my passenger side headlight casing has literally melted! the hole for the light bulb is about twice the size now. Next thing I was going to try was replacing the actual plugs for the headlights, but after reading some forums I will try following recall #819, #820 instructions, and see what happens...

Old 11-11-2010, 06:26 PM
jacked97

i got a problem with my 97 360 slt laramie my headlight are just not working i have no low beams just daytime running lights and my high beams work but dont stay on also my fog lights dont work to get them to work you have to play with the high beams and the fog light button at the same time does anyone have any idea on how to help me

Old 11-11-2010, 06:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Failing mutli-funttion switch, or, failing relays.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Racer-X

Fixed mine with the LMC upgrade works very well One night lights went out again found bad relay on the LMC no hi beams now Unable to find replacement relay LMC only lists complete harness just something to consider

Old 11-24-2011, 06:47 PM
joseortizservin

i am having the same problem in my 95 ram 4x4 with my low beam headlights, all they do is flicker and then turn off and i already instaled the pull out switch.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:32 PM
kenn-in-tenn
Default melted wires

1998 RAM 3500...just replaced all 9 wires and harness along with new switch.all lights are now working except cargo light and dome light.Also no instrument lights unless **** is turned all the way to the left as to turn on interior lights.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:42 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kenn-in-tenn
1998 RAM 3500...just replaced all 9 wires and harness along with new switch.all lights are now working except cargo light and dome light.Also no instrument lights unless **** is turned all the way to the left as to turn on interior lights.

Go to the FAQ/DIY section and download the service manual. Wiring diagrams are in there. Need to see if all fuses and connectors are made.

Quick Reply: head light switch