2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

best 46rh shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alright im just wantin to make mine a little more durable, so this is what im lookin for?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRANS...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill tell ya what when i get to the shop tomorrow ill compare both kits side by side. I might even do a little shift kit class, i may have a few extra hours after work tomorrow.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:33 PM
dodgeram07
Champion

http://www.ctpowertrain.com/servlet/...18-A618/Detail

heres the one i want... little more than the jr

Old 02-02-2009, 10:54 PM
transguy37
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Ahh, now we have a discussion. I'm not one of these crazy people that goes nuts when someone disagrees with me, everybody has their own opinion. I like the disscusion. Me, I like superior better than transgo. For me transgo does a lot of placebo stuff. Meaning younger has you change springs and valve that change anything, just makes you think your are. I like superior because they do, do a lot of high performance stuff and their kits are easy to install. I use them in all my 4L80E's and E40D's and 4R100's. Now as far as the 46RE's and the rest of the RE units, I use Sonnax valves and the Superior TCC boost plate and I shift kit the rest myself. I don't actally by a shift kit. But, that's my opion, not to have an agruement, but you might have to decide for yourself.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:15 AM
dakotas ram
Champion

well im gonna be doing this in the truck when i change my fluid and filter. im just lookin for somethin fairly simple that will firm up my shifts a bit and help with reliability.....i like the arguin as long as like you said no one starts freakin out and ruins an informative thread....thanks for yalls input and keep it comin......also, im kinda leanin towards the jr kit since it is priced pretty low, i also never really found a superior kit........could you find a link for me?

Old 02-03-2009, 08:57 AM
MonteC
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by transguy37
Hello,

Ahh, now we have a discussion. I'm not one of these crazy people that goes nuts when someone disagrees with me, everybody has their own opinion. I like the disscusion. Me, I like superior better than transgo. For me transgo does a lot of placebo stuff. Meaning younger has you change springs and valve that change anything, just makes you think your are. I like superior because they do, do a lot of high performance stuff and their kits are easy to install. I use them in all my 4L80E's and E40D's and 4R100's. Now as far as the 46RE's and the rest of the RE units, I use Sonnax valves and the Superior TCC boost plate and I shift kit the rest myself. I don't actally by a shift kit. But, that's my opion, not to have an agruement, but you might have to decide for yourself.
Placebo springs? Ok.

You really think that a company would just put random springs in a kit that dont do anything? How did you verify that the springs did nothing? Every spring that comes in the kits are different lengths, and tensions, the coils are different sizes. How can you dismiss them as placebo? Really?

You do realize how a valve body works and how these different springs will affect each valve in the valve body and the pressures though out the unit dont you?

BTW what part of NC are you from? We had a guy bring in a 700 he had built somwhere near Raleigh, thing quit shifting on him. He told us the builder put in his own "shift kit". I went through it... what a joke. The guy had stuck a butt connector that you use for electrical connections behind the line bias valve, the butt connector had started to compress together defeating the purpose of even putting it in there. I went back through it, did many upgrades and installed a real shift kit, superior HP kit. The guy LOVED it, went back up to NC and cursed the guy out and gave him back his "shift kit". LOL!

Last edited by MonteC; 02-03-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:29 AM
transguy37
Professional

I'm about 2 hours east of Relaigh in Statesville. I don't use a butt connector in the line bias valve. I take a 1/4" bolt and cut it at .885" and pin the valve with that. Yes I know how a valve body works, I know more about the hydraulics in a trans than most people. I'm not a parts replacer or a monkey stacking blocks. When I make a change I actually know what affect it has. A good example is a Jr. shift kit for a CD4E, get one and measure the coil diameters and free lenghts of the springs and you will see they are the same as what already in the valve body. Guy told me maybe it's to replace the broke springs, but I've never seen a spring broke in a CD4E VB. You are in SC? Will you be at the ATRA simnar sat. in Charlotte?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:04 AM
MudRam99
Default Montec that would be great

Originally Posted by MonteC
Ill tell ya what when i get to the shop tomorrow ill compare both kits side by side. I might even do a little shift kit class, i may have a few extra hours after work tomorrow.
I have been making a list of projects for the IRS monies soon to come. A shift kit is on the list.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 AM
transguy37
Professional

Also, this is just my opinion. I'm not saying you are wrong and I am right. If you like transgo, by all means you it. Whatever gets the job out the door and stays gone. I'm glad to hear you got the guy straighten out on the 700, whoever put the butt connector in for a blocker shouldn't work on trannies. I would have took it back too and asked him what heck he was doing. I've been around a few parts replacers, and if they build a unit and it doesn't work their famous words are," I don't know I put everything in it." But anyway, I just like superior better, that's all.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM
dakotas ram
Champion

i was lookin and i saw the separator plates.....is that just a more detailed shift kit pretty much?

Quick Reply: best 46rh shift kit