2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headlights cutting on and off

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Fubba
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights cutting on and off

A couple of weeks ago, my headlights started flashing. It has done it a handful of times since then. Sometimes, my gauge lights also cut off, but never my foglights. When I fiddle with the switch, most of the time they will come back on and work. Does this mean I have a faulty switch?

Old 05-14-2009, 01:52 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A simple yes will do. But if you have a tilt steering wheel the prob could be with the wires in the steering column itself.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have a similar story, i was cruising down the road yappin to my girlfriend and stopped mid sentence and said "did my lights just get dimmer?" she saw it, then later on that night it happened again but that time they got brighter and she noticed that time too. but it only happened the one time so i just shrugged it off, but i bet sometime soon it'll be like yours, so figure this one out for when mine starts messing up will ya.

you could take the column cover off, and unplug all the wires and re-seat them, along with the head light switch and see if that fixes it. when you do, make sure they're all tight and make sure the wires are all pushed into the back of the plug all the way, my thunderbird had a couple wires on the column that didn't like to stay in the connector till i glued them in place.

also re-seat the fuses and relays for the lights and instrument cluster. they may just have a loose contact or some corrosion on them

Quick Reply: Headlights cutting on and off