2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do 1998 dodge original brakes have asbestos?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 03:49 PM
afishyfella
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do 1998 dodge original brakes have asbestos?

I'm thinking of replacing the brakes on my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 2x4 myself. I've been very lucky to have a majority of highway miles driven on this truck resulting in verrryyyy llloooooowww brake wear. The original brakes are starting to go since I've had to do a lot of city driving in the last 3 years. Does anyone know if these trucks came with brakes that asbestos in them? I know how to do the work, however, I want to avoid any undue exposure.

Sincerely,

afishyfela
www.afishyfella.com

Old 10-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Archion
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, asbestos in US OE automotive friction materials has not been legal since the '80s. Some aftermarket overseas stuff still might, I would still reccomend washing them down with brake clean regardless. Keep it wet, no dust to breathe. Even organic dust sucks if you breathe it in.

Last edited by Archion; 10-14-2011 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:37 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archion
No, asbestos in US OE automotive friction materials has not been legal since the '80s. Some aftermarket overseas stuff still might, I would still reccomend washing them down with brake clean regardless. Keep it wet, no dust to breathe. Even organic dust sucks if you breathe it in.

I agree. Asbestos has been on the way out here, but imported items (even claiming no asbestos) may have asbestos in them. Not like customs checks all the stuff coming in (like lead in kids toys).

Quick Reply: Do 1998 dodge original brakes have asbestos?