2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Annoying Snap

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:11 PM
fyafyta
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Snap

Alright guys. I'm back again with another issue. I did a search before i decided to write my own and ask question. I tried searching "clunking", "snapping" and "drive line noises." Found nothing related. Here's the issue. When driving around town (25-30). If I just tap the gas real quick I have a nasty nasty snapping clunking noise. Before you ask. U-joints are good. I used a helper and raised my truck so the wheels were free to turn. Couldn't place where it was coming from. My question would be. If the retainer clip breaks in the tail shaft, would that cause a snapping noise?
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4x4 5.2L. I was told by the dealer that I have the 231hd transfer case and dana 44 front axle with 3.55 gears and corporate 9.25 rear axle. I thank you in advance for help.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Transfer case maybe...? How many miles on the truck?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:34 PM
fyafyta
Amateur

Around 130K.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

With the truck up on jackstands, disconnect the driveshaft from the rear end. see how far you can turn the shaft before it takes up all the slack in the drivetrain. (shouldn't be real far....) Do the same for the pinion on the rear end. See where the slop is. There should be more than about an inch of free play on either end.

While you have the shaft disconnected.... pull it out of the t-case, and take off the tailshaft housing. Verify the snap ring is still there.... and if it isn't, FIX it.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:05 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

can you reproduce the noise with the truck up on jack stands?

can you tell if its coming from the rear end, vs the middle of the truck?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:53 PM
fyafyta
Amateur

Hey you: I will check those out tomorrow. I am mechanically inclined so it won't be an issue. Correct me if I'm wrong. Too much in the rear end would most likely be back lash correct? Not really sure what it would be if on the transfer end. Not sure I really want too. Lol. I do know it will probably be cheaper to just do the repairs to the truck them buying a different truck.

Vaughan: I could get it to make the noise. To be honest. Sounds like it's coming from both ends. When in the cab driving sounds like the middle of the truck. Possibly transfer area.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Emmett Dunham

Checking the universal joints should be easy. Put the trunk in drive give it some gas and let off, put the trans in reverse and give it gas and you should get a clunk it you have a bad joint. Try the procedure more than one time to check the joints. If its the rear end you should be hearing some winning, open up all of the windows on the truck and see if you can hear. I had a rear end go completely out on my Dodge and the only sound it made was after leaking out all of the oil was the sound of the pinion breaking a hole in the rear end housing.

Emmett

Quick Reply: Annoying Snap