2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46rh swap in a 46re truck ... one little problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 AM
majdi.44
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

okay ill get a slide hammer for the pump i'm using my old overdrive unit because its the 4x4 one , ill have to take that apart and clean it, but i'm not touching that 700 bound spring

ima pay attention to where everything goes take pictures for reference , the valve body i'm a little scared to open it up , but maybe ill have a shop clean it for me , ill buy another torque converter because i know mine has some **** in it ,

one thing i'm worried about is adjusting those bands, should i have a shop do that for me also ,

everything else seems straight forward

thanks

Old 02-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by majdi.44
okay ill get a slide hammer for the pump i'm using my old overdrive unit because its the 4x4 one , ill have to take that apart and clean it, but i'm not touching that 700 bound spring

ima pay attention to where everything goes take pictures for reference , the valve body i'm a little scared to open it up , but maybe ill have a shop clean it for me , ill buy another torque converter because i know mine has some **** in it ,

one thing i'm worried about is adjusting those bands, should i have a shop do that for me also ,

everything else seems straight forward

thanks
I would suggest a ATSG service manual for the A-518 (thats what the 46RH and 46RE are). It details everything that must be done and is cheap.

The ATSG manual and shift kit instructions should show the valve body so it isn't that difficult. I would suggest having someone there with you when you tear down the valve body to give you a hand. Also watch the springs some look a like.

If you can do everything else adjusting the bands is nothing. What is even better is you get to do it on the workbench when the tranny is out.

Just remeber cleanliness is VERY important to transmissions.

Good Luck

Old 02-23-2010, 11:31 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

there are other threads about this on here you should be able to find more info by doing a search I know I read about this before on here more than once....I gotta say though you really should have done your homework better before trying to swap out the tranny to make sure you had one that was compatible...its likely going to be more work than its worth involved but I'm curious to see if you get it working ok...I thought there was a conversion kit somewhere I read about here...

Old 02-23-2010, 03:25 PM
majdi.44

hey guys this might sound stupid but im a little lazy and dont fee like pulling the tranny out its 2 cold outside and a **** load of snow , so i'ma try something ... nothing to lose .....

i'ma cut the harness on the valve body for the 46re and drill the plug for the 46rh , run the wires through the plug than outside the tranny housing reconnect them to the 46re 8pin plug and plug it into my truck harness , than try to find some kind of sealant that would harden up and close up the 46rh plug and seal from tranny fluid.

any input on what kind of sealant i can use that would harden like plastic and now allow any tranny fluid to pass through

Old 02-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by majdi.44
hey guys this might sound stupid but im a little lazy and dont fee like pulling the tranny out its 2 cold outside and a **** load of snow , so i'ma try something ... nothing to lose .....

i'ma cut the harness on the valve body for the 46re and drill the plug for the 46rh , run the wires through the plug than outside the tranny housing reconnect them to the 46re 8pin plug and plug it into my truck harness , than try to find some kind of sealant that would harden up and close up the 46rh plug and seal from tranny fluid.

any input on what kind of sealant i can use that would harden like plastic and now allow any tranny fluid to pass through
Wow....I think your asking for trouble and are gonna make repairs more expensive on yourself by attempting that but thats just me....and if you really have nothing to lose (if you dont mind possibly frying the tcm and messing up the 46rh housing..)

Old 02-23-2010, 04:20 PM
majdi.44

why would i mess up the hosing of the tranny , the plastic plug is what i'm drilling and running the wires through and sealing , i'm not touching the case and i can remove the plug any time i want, also... the valve body is from my re.. so it plugs into the harness of my truck no problem why would i fry my tcm ... sorry i just like to get an explanation of why things wont work

thanks

Old 02-23-2010, 04:20 PM
gobbell1
Professional

If you decide to rebuild the 46RE, I put together a tuturial to walk you thru it.

http://bellsouthpwp2.net/t/h/thegobb...odge/dodge.htm

Old 02-23-2010, 04:26 PM
majdi.44

oo yea I have seen that tutorial before thanks for the information.

I have my fingers crossed hope this works and i don't have to rebuild the thing.

the one thing that's pushing me to do it is that the valve body ports in the transmission match the 46re so there's no diffidence which leaves me to think that if i get it to seal it should work almost certain about it.

and hey why not try if it works great ill make a tutorial on how to put a 46rh in a 46re truck.... if not.... time to rebuild

cheers

Old 02-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion

I didnt understand clearly what you were doing or that you were swapping the valve body by your original statement ... Frankly I thought their were more differences than just that between the re and rh as this has come up before and ...I even googled it once when my tranny was on the fritz and the consensus was it was more work than it was worth... I guess I would just make sure that all that has to be done..

Old 02-23-2010, 04:30 PM
95ram5.9
Rookie

Also if you want to save a few bucks, you can make a pump puller out of a block of wood and some threaded rod instead of buying slide hammers. I got the idea online somewhere, tried it and it worked like a charm. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Quick Reply: 46rh swap in a 46re truck ... one little problem