2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

door speakers not working?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4HoNdaDODGE
im also having a problem with my front door speakers not working. its only when im listening to a cd or i pod not on radio stations the front work then... anyone have a clue
Think that would have to be an internal fault in your head unit. Not sure though. If you have the "fade" feature, try fading all the way to the front, and see if you hear anything from the door speakers that way; if not, they are definitely not getting input (though some gremlin or another)

Old 03-10-2011, 02:31 PM
brewman
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im also having a problem with my front door speakers not working. its only when im listening to a cd or i pod not on radio stations the front work then... anyone have a clue

This is probably because the power antenna remote turn-on lead from the head unit was used to signal the door speaker amps to turn on. If the head unit also has a remote amp trigger wire then the power antenna trigger may only be active when in tuner mode.

If your head unit does not have a separate remote amp wire then just use the red switched power wire to trigger the amps to turn on. This way the amps will be guaranteed to be on when the head unit is on.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:45 PM
4HoNdaDODGE
Professional

it has a second remote wire i think... the uh blue or blue and white one?? everything is wired correctly..... do you think this could be from wiring a system too use the antenna wire tooo turn the amp on and thats not letting the amps turn on, on the door speakers?

Old 03-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Ramonator44
Rookie

ok well for anyone else with the same problem i figured it out. when installing an new head unit with the infinity speakers you need to wire the amp remote wire from the head unit to the power antenna wire from the truck.. but then i ran into another problem the speakers only worked when the radio was on not when i had my ipod hooked up so i took it back out and my head unit had a second amp remote wire so i hooked both amp remote wires to the power antenna wire and it now works great.. other then some static when the ipods hooked up... was actually surprised at how much bass these speakers produce.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Arachnyd
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ramonator44
ok well for anyone else with the same problem i figured it out. when installing an new head unit with the infinity speakers you need to wire the amp remote wire from the head unit to the power antenna wire from the truck.. but then i ran into another problem the speakers only worked when the radio was on not when i had my ipod hooked up so i took it back out and my head unit had a second amp remote wire so i hooked both amp remote wires to the power antenna wire and it now works great.. other then some static when the ipods hooked up... was actually surprised at how much bass these speakers produce.
just because your new I'm going to mention this, but certainly try out the "search" function and you'll save a LOT of hassle.

Most common topics (including this one) have been covered many many times!

But yes, you guys figured it out- the speakers will work when the radio is on because the antenna output will partially power the amps. Connect the "antenna" wire straight to the ignition, and your speakers will work as they are supposed to. Leave the antenna output wire disconnected.

Glad you guys figured it out though! Just mentioning it to save you some time/difficulty next time!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:27 PM
KaYn
Default Front speakers not working

hows everyone doing tonite, i have a 2001 dodge ram, i had a stock cassatte player in it and both front speakers went out at the same time, from the chrysler store that is a co dealership were i work at said that it could b the stock deck, so i put it an after market deck in ive been doing systems for 20 yrs, well the after market deck did not fix the prob, there is no were that say i have an infinity set up and ive been reading on all the comments which has been informative so my question is if i do not have infinity setup could some one please help me out with what the problems could b, thank u very much for ur imput

Old 09-10-2012, 09:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,959 Posts

Try plugging some different speakers in to the wires in the door, and see if you get anything.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:57 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Try plugging some different speakers in to the wires in the door, and see if you get anything.
X2. I had both speakers quit working on me last year (no infinity). Ended up being the speakers went bad at the same time. I had also thought it was the radio at first.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 AM
KaYn

Thank u for the answers, that what I thought but in how many yrs I've never seen both speakers go out at once, thanx again for the quik replys I will try tonite when I get new speakers and nhl 13 haha

Old 09-11-2012, 10:45 AM
MNRAM1500
Professional

I just had the same problem with my pickup, it is indeed what everybody else said with the blue amp wire. I can't explain why its like that but I talked to alot of audio guys trying to figure it out. But one I got it hooked up everything works. The blue wire in the factory harness can go to the output blue line for an amp on the aftermarket and it should work.

Quick Reply: door speakers not working?