2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird cooling problems. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Fubba
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird cooling problems. HELP!

Ok. About a month ago, my top radiator hose busted. I replaced it, and also replaced the thermostat with a Murray 180 degree thermostat from O'Reillys. It's this one: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3442&ppt=C0331

Now, two weeks ago, I had a huge coolant leak. Ended up being the seals around the water pump and also the hidden hose right above it. I had a new water pump put on and a new hose. Would've done it myself, but I needed my truck that day. In the process of this, the shop that did it messed up my radiator, so they put a new one on.

Now I have: good hoses, new radiator, new water pump, new thermostat and gasket.

The water temp now will AT RANDOM TIMES jump all the way up to almost the red line at 260 degrees. Whether I speed up or slow down, stop or put it in park, it doesn't affect the temp. It will eventually drop really fast way back down to where it should be. What is causing this? The first time it did it was when I was parked with the truck running. I was doing something, and then looked down and the temp was spiked.

Could it be that my thermostat is sticking? It's supposed to be a fail-safe which is confusing me. Thanks guys.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

You have an air pocket in the cooling system. These trucks are notorious for being difficult to get all the air out..... burp the system good, should fix it.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Fubba
Professional

The thermostat is supposed to have a hole to help get air out of the system. Also, would it still be doing that after two weeks? It makes me nervous, because I'm afraid I'm going to blow a head gasket haha

Old 09-13-2011, 01:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

that may let the air bypass the thermostat, but, the way the system is set up, unfortunately, parts of the heater hoses are higher..... have you tried your heater yet?

Old 09-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Fubba
Professional

Have not even run the heater. I will give this a try this afternoon. Thanks and will update

Quick Reply: Weird cooling problems. HELP!