2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Dodge Ram V10 cam sensor tip breaking off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 10:54 PM
Mac-101
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge Ram V10 cam sensor tip breaking off.

I bought a 2004 dodge ram V10 3500 and was told it was dead since they needed a crankshaft sensor. I ordered one from Red China and went to put it in and it was the cam sensor that was missing. So I ordered a cam sensor from Red China and put it in and the engine ran smooth for 4 seconds and then it stopped.
I pulled it out and the tip was broke off. I tracked down the person who had the truck and he didn't now who pulled it out and if it was broke before.
I ordered another from Red China and before putting that one in rotated the engine real slow and felt the end of the cam shaft sensor for irregularities, found none. Put that sensor in and t broke.
A couple people said the cam bearings will wear out and the wobble will break the tip off the cam sensor. Anyone had experience with this problem before?
Can I change out the cam bearings with the engine in the truck? If so I will remove the stuff and inspect the front of the engine. If I can't I will just pull the rear end and springs off it and turn my 2003 Dodge Ram 5.9 cummins 2500HD into a dually.
Any ideas on camshaft position sensor tips breaking off and replacement of the camshaft bearings from the front of the engine with it in the truck.?

Old 11-03-2018, 09:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

There is a specific procedure for installing the cam sensor on these engines. If you just push it in all the way, you get exactly the result you are experiencing. Grab a copy of the service manual for your truck from here, follow the procedure outline to install the cam sensor, and you should be good to go.

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Ram V10 cam sensor tip breaking off.