2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission cooler line quick connect HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 02:14 PM
ramiro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hope this thread ain't too old and someone will respond. Very similar situation; 99 ram 5.2 engine. Replaced radiator with Murray radiator from O'Reilly's . Everything lined up and connected well except for the stem that screws into the radiator where the quick connect goes on; like in the picture above but the opposite end. Mine leaks tranny fluid under that 22mm nut, not the quick connect. I tightened it and it still leaks, not a lot but it does leak/drip overnight. Any help ideas are appreciated..

Old 03-25-2017, 03:01 PM
ramiro

hope this thread aint too old. Same truck, same radiator replacement, similar problem. Mine leaks at the opposite end of the stem in the picture; where it screws into the radiator. the quick connect doe's not leak, but I feel and see tranny fluid under the 22 mm nut that screws into the radiator. I tightened it, as it was a little loose, and it still leaks.. any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by ramiro; 03-25-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,959 Posts

Pull it back apart, clean the threads of the nut REALLY well. Make sure the flared end of the tube is still in good shape, and that the flare inside the radiator is good. Use some teflon tape on the threads, and you should be able to make it stop leaking.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:12 PM
ramiro

Thanks. I will try that. You'd think that a brand new radiator would be good to go.... but I guess ya never know. Thanks again.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,959 Posts

Just because it's new........

Yeah, I have had some truly strange failures on brand new parts..... It can be rather frustrating.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:19 PM
Mark S.
Amateur

I had the same problem with my replacement radiator, the price was good but quality not as good as OEM. I had to replace on a weekend before a snow storm, plastic tank split. I think the problem is that that small adapter fitting that goes on to the rad. is aluminum and being soft, it does not always seal properly at the flare, and can deform easily. The sealing is suppose to be done at the flare, but if it doesn't it will leak past the threads. The back side of flare seems to seal against the nut OK, keeping the tube from leaking. In this situation teflon tape, as mention above usually works. I had to try it several times with different thicknesses of tape, but it finally worked. Snug the fitting a little at a time, as you check for leaks. You may have a tendency to over-tighten fitting to stop the leak, but this will further smash aluminum flare and make it worse. It was definitely frustrating, with the only other recourse to pull radiator and exchange under warranty, although the fitting problem might still be present. When I was done i wire-tied a paper towel around fitting so I could monitor for future leaks.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:27 PM
ramiro

Thanks. I tried that. Cleaned threads, I used permatex sealant.$5 bucks Screwed the nut back in. Took my time. ... Took for a test drive. .bingo! !!!.no leaks. ..thanks again

Old 04-04-2017, 01:29 AM
cedric green

Originally Posted by r0cxstar
i replaced my lower transmission line and radiator and i cant get the line to connect back into the quick connect on the radiator. i have a 97 ram 1500 5.2l v8 4wd . is there a special tool i can get or something ? i just cant seem to push it in. please help.
thanks
i had these issue a while back when i replaced my radiator be cause no one makes the orginsl piece what i did was go to oriellys and the guy there new a few things so he got a steal beake line hose and put it in replace of the nipple then cutt the end of the original hose off that connection to the radiator And just held it on with a few hose clamp been working perfect every since

Old 04-04-2017, 11:12 AM
ramiro

Luckily I didn't have to rig anything up this time. I just used thread sealer and tightened the **** out of it like suggested here and after one week of driving hiway and stop and go in the city, the dang thing still isn't leaking. Mine was leaking at the nut that screws into the radiator... not the quick connect or the nipple or stem or anywhere else thank goodness.....Thanks again. However, I have rigged plenty things up messin with cars and will do it again if needed.....duct tape and wire coat hangers....LOL!!!!

Last edited by ramiro; 04-04-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:06 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That fitting that goes THROUGH the radiator is like a bulkhead fitting. If that big nut gets loose it will leak coolant. Make sure that it's tight and hold on to it when you tighten the flare nut.

(It goes through the plastic radiator side portion and directly into the stock interior trans fluid cooler)

Stuff you know now, but I was unavailable to respond earlier, sorry.

Last edited by dbbd1; 04-04-2017 at 12:12 PM.

Quick Reply: transmission cooler line quick connect HELP