2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cruise control not working.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 07:05 PM
deedodge99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control not working.

When I bought the truck a couple months ago the cruise light would come on but wouldn't set to cruise. Now I can hit the cruise button and I get nothing. Please help me!

Old 10-22-2022, 09:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

The buttons on the steering wheel just modify a signal voltage from the PCM, to suggest to the PCM what you want. So far as I know, the PCM will power the cruise, regardless of any other problems, provided it actually gets the signal from the steering wheel buttons. If you don't already have one, get the service manual for your truck from here. Wiring diagrams are in section 8w. It will show the resistances of what the various buttons are, so you can calculate what return voltage should be. Test that first. See what ya get. If you don't get anything at all..... might be as simply as a bad clock spring in the steering column.

Old 10-22-2022, 11:42 PM
TimoH
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First thing to check the fuse, depending on the year there is a vacuum/servo near the battery the controls the cruise, there is a cable/vaccum line that runs from the accelerator on the throttle body, another thing to check is the button inside on the actual brake pedal linkage. There are a couple of components that control it, that actual pcm circuit as mentioned above, the actual servo, and the vehicle speed sensor (this is an input to the pcm and would need to be looked at in the wiring diagram).

Quick Reply: Cruise control not working.