2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Rebuild on the cheap: Now Just Empty Every Pocket build.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 10:29 AM
1997JollyGreenGiant
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Good to see this going again. Did I read that your block still had the stock bore? You going to get it bored .030 over?

Old 02-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't plan on getting it bored .030 if I can help it. I have stock bore pistons right now and don't want to buy new ones unless I have to. I'll find out once I get it to the machine shop. Once I get there numbers I'll know more. Same reason why I am not going to buy bearings until I find out what size the crank is.

This project is always going just some of time I run out of funds and have to wait a while.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:33 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know I'm a young, hot headed dude but I'd be to the point where I'd slap it together and see what happeNs.

But hey, more powerr to ya for doing it the right way. It's always less expensive in the end.

still looking forward to the first start up!

Old 02-11-2015, 04:03 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Ham Bone,
You don't know how hard it was for me to take the engine apart last fall when Merc told me about the scotch pads I was using to clean the tops of the pistons. I almost was going to say bag it and I'll just change the oil every 100 miles 4 or 5 times. But then common sense kicked in and I said, I finally have the stroker engine I have been wanting now for 5 years. Why take the chance on it and have it grenade on me 200 miles after I get it running because I was in such a hurry. So Here I am waiting to get everything done and done right. So I do know what you're talking about and it has nothing to do with being young.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:18 PM
Derick C.
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So the block was still stock bore?

DG machine charged me to bore it and charged me for .030 over pistons.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:42 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Derick,
Nope it was not stock bore. None of the pistons say they are .030 but they are. So I had to send the piston and the piston rings I had back to Summit and get the correct ones coming. I need to slow down and double check stuff.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:59 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Well I figured I should pop in a give another update. Been sick for the past week so I have not felt like doing anything. Plan on getting the engine ready to go to R&Q and run it over to them next week. I'm getting the engine hot tanked, have the rotating assembly checked for balance, new cam bearings & freeze plugs installed. Then when I get it back from them I'll be ready to reassemble the engine and install it into my Jeep. While the engine is at the machine shop I'll get the old engine and tranny pulled so I am ready when the engine comes back. Other than that nothing exciting going on in my neck of the woods. Once the Jeep is all back together and running then it is time for a trip over to see Build It Off-Road to have a few things done to it.

I just called the machine shop and have the list of all the parts I need to bring in with me. When I get ready to install the piston rings it is going to take me a while to do it with the Total Seal rings. I'm just going to take my time and try not to screw anything up. Then once it is all back together I'll have to be calling Ryan to get my tune ready for the engine. This is going to be interesting as I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to data logging. I bought the data logger he suggested but I have no idea how to use it. And from the reading I have been doing about other guys who have built 408's they have all had to go with a 3" exhaust and I have a 2 1/2" on it right now. So when I get the new exhaust made I'll have an extra O2 bung installed. Or maybe 2 extra bungs? I have a AFR gauge that I am going to install also.
Anybody got a good web site with easy step by step directions on how to use a data logger? I have the Innovate Motorsports 3832 OT-2 OBD-II if that helps any. And I'm not an Apple person either so I am hoping that I can use my daughters old iPhone 4 that isn't activated to link with the data logger.

Old 05-23-2015, 10:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Looks like that wants to talk to software for your iphone, do you have an iphone??

Old 05-23-2015, 03:26 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Yep it will only work with a iPhone and nope I do not have one. I am A APPLE NON-LIKER. I'm not a fan of apple but I am going to have to buy a ipod touch.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:15 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I read up on that logger a while back. No need to use iPhone, can use LogWorks software on PC. I don't use iPhone anymore either. You would need to activate the Apple device to access the app store.

I still plan on buying this logger as well.

Sean from Hemifever said he has LogWorks software and can write tunes from logger data. What exact data is needed to be logged? I don't know. I'm at a point financially that I can buy this logger now. Everything else on my truck is finally finished, just need a good tune.

Last edited by beeker; 05-23-2015 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.9 Rebuild on the cheap: Now Just Empty Every Pocket build.