2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leaking Transmission. Not Pan!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 01:16 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what mine looks like.. There's the metal ring that presses something when turned (By linkage?) and no Eclip.. Looks like the bolt head is big enough to hold it in.. which means its one way.. The other side I cant get a pic of, but it feels like the pin is round with a flat edge on one side of it.. Im lost!

Attached Thumbnails Leaking Transmission. Not Pan!-120716_0002.jpg  
Old 07-16-2012, 02:35 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

Ok.. Im about to throw something (lol) I finally figured out there is another bolt up there.. got all of the linkage disconnected. YAY. However, it still isnt letting the Valve body go.. Possibly because I havent removed the case wiring harness.. (plug for the solenoids on the outside of the case).. Who wants to bet I break this one to.. I can push the tab down, but it is not budging.. I break LOTS of these.. =\

Ok, Its out.! I got all the plugs out.. However, Both the Orings are still seated fine in this plug, and it was tight..? So the leak wasn't coming from there?? The only other thing I can think of is where the linkage go through to the outside.. Is there an Oring here I am missing? Some kind of seal?

Last edited by RaissiKitten; 07-16-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Got the VB Out!
Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

Well, I figured my way through it.. Turns out it was the Neutral Safety Switch.. No seal on it at all, whether someone forgot it or it rotted out.. Everything is closed up, gunna stick an oring on this sucker, put it in and fill it up.. Hopefully everything is good to go!

Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Darn. If you could have determined it was coming from there first it sure would hae been easier! Glad you located the problem!

Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

I know!! But, I needed to pull the solenoids and clean them anyway.. Sure didn't have to drop the Valve Body though! Experience, Experience!

Old 07-18-2012, 03:59 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

Just test drove it.. =\ Im about to sell this thing. The leak is fixed, but cleaning the solenoids didnt help me this time. It will not shift from 1st, unless I completely let off the gas.. everything else is fine.. Front band to loose? I know when I have the VB down, that front band sure moved ALOT..

Old 07-26-2012, 09:02 AM
RaissiKitten
Professional

Alright.. One last time.. Is there a trick to putting this plug in??? I adjusted my bands and the truck shifts great now, but its STILL LEAKING.. and its actually leaking to the point its getting low on fluid over night now.. I've pulled the plug out, and put it back, tightened it up, three times.. Im cleaning the entire thing, and the fluid is coming from this plug..... It started leaking bad since Ive put the new one in!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:31 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Check that you didn't nick the orings on install.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:25 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

I didnt.. I just pulled it again.. Guy at Orielly's told me to leave the metal washer off.. so I did.. I've tried everything else so I said what the heck? So far, so good.. I hope this works.. =\

Quick Reply: Leaking Transmission. Not Pan!