2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 318 - transmission swap/5 speed manual conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Gabelng
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished doing this exact same conversion! Just remember to get your pilot bearing and pilot bearing sleeve. and also make sure to short your reverse/neutral/park switch or your computer won't let the engine start. it's as easy as putting a wire from on recieving hole on the harness to another (left or right to center). and then make sure your crankshaft sensor is in place. it goes in the little spot in the bellhousing that has a rubber grommet in it. Good luck! If you figure out how to get the check engine light to turn off let me know! haha I haven't yet.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:48 PM
dont dodge it ram it
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

yeah the pilot bearing came with the clutch kit. but as for the pilot bearing sleeve im not sure what you mean. and yes i did figure out the neutral safety switch as you can read in mu update. but i did forget to mention that there is a neutral safety on the clutch pedal that you just need to plug it into the stock connecter right beside it which the automatics already have. also for the crank sensor that is also in my update. but the check engine light will not go off unless you find a 5 speed computer because the auto computer is looking for the auto tranny sensors and it thinks that youre stuck in park when you start moving.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

According to theory..... you should be able to flash the PCM with a manual trans tune, and be good to go. Manual does not make any differentiation between M/T and A/T transmissions..... (96 and newer though.)

Old 06-21-2013, 12:59 AM
dont dodge it ram it

theory doesnt do me much good. i havent looked into it much because i have a manual computer from 98 but to make it work in my '00 i need to move pins. i took it to a dealership and they told me they could not flash the computer. but you say that the computer doesnt differentiate between manual and auto? well then why are the wiring harnesses different? why does the automatic have a temp sensor but the manual does not? and why does my computer think i am in park when i drive? also why does my auto computer compensate for the torque converter that is no longer there. im no expert but my guess would be that the computers are different

Old 08-14-2013, 09:21 PM
Nortzy
Rookie

How did you get your pilot bearing in? I tried getting mine in on my 98 and it would not go in I ended up wrecking the bearing.. Thanks

Old 08-14-2013, 10:03 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you converting from automatic? If so you will need the bushing that the bearing goes in as well. Also, they have 2 sizes of bearings...

Old 08-15-2013, 03:52 PM
dont dodge it ram it

i didnt have any problems getting the pilot bearing in. you may have the wrong size bearing if beginningjockey is right

Old 12-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Paulquinn83

hey this a great post. I just found it after doing some research for my tranny swap on my 03 ram 1500 van. I'm gathering all the parts I need before I start and thought ur experience was very helpful for all the little things you don't think about or just find out while your in the middle of the project. Like the crank position sensor great tip to to raise it up 1/2". My only concern is my drive shaft I've a rear wheel drive van I'd I've read someone else's post where they said their drive shaft needed to be 7" shorter with the manual Trans installed. I'm getting the NV3500 from got transmissions for $900 so I think you used the same modle. How long is ur original DS. I think mine is 73.5" so if it only needs to be 1.5" or so longer maybe there is something to put between the yoke and shaft the extend it by that much. Any thoughts.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

You don't want to use any variety of extender on the drive shaft, it spins at some pretty serious RPM, and if there is ANY slop there at all, you will have one wicked vibration. Should be a driveshaft shop around somewhere that can shorten/lengthen it for you.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Mcguvier
Default Thanks for the info

I am attempting to swap a 5 speed in a 94 1500. I had a few issues to deal with first!
1. The previous owner installed a OB II engine and a 46 RE tranny in the truck . My modulation was the RE had to be manually up shifted and overdrive did not work.
2. After converting the engine to OBD I it would now start below 20degrees.
I purchased a short bed 1500 with a 5.2 and a 5speed. The only thing good about the truck was the tranny. This is the way to go.everything you need I'd here I paid $400. For the whole truck.the bonus was it had one ton springs in the front, perfect for my plow triuck.

Everything going smooth except the auto had a 241 DHD transfer case in it! So I will weld up a drive shafts from the few I have so I know I have the right length and if it's not balance the get one made. New flywheel and clutch installed. Today I will install stare and see If the engine runs. I could not get the auto timer not to touch the back of the flywheel I raised it with washers and got clearence but it touched the front of the fly wheel, then I noticed the wires were frayed so I spliced the manual tranny timer in. Three wires but no colors match nor the plug I used both ends from the manuel loom and wired it to the auto loom I hope the center wire is constant. If it dosent run I will switch the two outside wires.

This is not a project for the light hearted. Every day will be an new chalenge. Will post update as this project continues.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 318 - transmission swap/5 speed manual conversion