2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help with code P1899 before I take it to get fixed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:50 AM
Ballfroguy
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with code P1899 before I take it to get fixed.

I got this code about a week ago, went to autozone had it checked and it showed P1899. I replaced the switch right away and the engine light stayed on for a couple of days and went away. It came back throwing the same code. I checked to see if it functions correctly and it wont let me start the car in D or R, also noticed that my back up lights are not working. I tried to follow back the wires but it just went into a huge bundle of wires into the harness. Is there a fuse I can look at? I couldnt find one. Also checked to see if there was any power showing for the lights when in R and it showed nothing. Again while in R and D I checked to see if there was power going to it and it showed nothing....but the Switch works like its suppose to. What am I missing? I also did disconnect the battery a couple of times, the light came back on immideatly.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:24 AM
gertie240
Captain

How long did you leave the battery disconnected? did you undo the battery before you replaced the switch? is this on the 98 or the 09? check to see if your tilt steering has pinched some wires in the column. take the switch back to auto zone and get an oem one from dodge.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Ballfroguy
Rookie

98, I disconnected it long enough to brush the nipples on the battery. I did it after I installed it. Ill try the oem one. No wires pinched from what I looked at.

Should I disconnect it, install new then hook battery bac up or...?
How long should I leave the battery disconnected?

Last edited by Ballfroguy; 09-25-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:10 PM
gertie240
Captain

its always a precaution, ten or fifteen minutes will reset the pcm, ANY time I work on my ram I disconnect the battery. just good habit. I just put new lights on my last weelend if you need a passenger side mine was brand new, I thought the drivers side looked okay until I put a new one on the other side so I bought a whole set. Got a bed cover too if yours is a short box and wanted one.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:12 PM
gertie240
Captain

and I am pretty sure you can test the switch, did you get a chance to download the service manual from the DIY section?

Old 09-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Ballfroguy
Rookie

I did test the switch, it works. No power seems to be going to the switch. Ill unhook the battery to reset it. Also just found out that I couldn't get a solid ground so its probably gettig power which is why the switch works. Could my reverse lights being out cause it to show bad??

Last edited by Ballfroguy; 09-25-2012 at 03:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Milton Murray (05-03-2020)
Old 09-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Ballfroguy
Rookie

Alright so reset it, engine light did not com on immediately. I put it in about of D and no lghts. My back ups are still out. Ill change those first. Im sure the engine light will come bac on. Ill let y'all know

Last edited by Ballfroguy; 09-25-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Help with code P1899 before I take it to get fixed.