2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overdrive or TCC performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 10:31 AM
brad_12
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overdrive or TCC performance

Driving home yesterday behind a slow vehicle and decided to pass them and stepped on the gas and felt like overdrive kicked in, but almost immediately after that seemed like it kicked out and lost power so I let off the gas and got back on, but not as hard and got around fine. I didn't try stepping on it that hard again after that to see if it happened again though.

I got home and ran a tester on the truck and it said overdrive or tcc performance (there isn't an engine light on either).

Thanks
Brad

Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What speed was this at before the passing attempt?

You mean you accelerated and the truck DOWN shifted (kicks OUT of overdrive)? I'm reading you say the opposite.

In any case, check your TV Cable (search for that) as well as observe your Tach rpms for unexpected flaring (idle and overdrive). Another possible contributor is bad throttle position sensor (tps).

Those are the things that come to mind.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:08 AM
brad_12
Amateur

I was going about 45 behind this vehicle.

It didn't downshift really it just seemed to completely miss right after overdrive kicked in and rev up until I let off and pressed back on the gas. Otherwise just regular driving don't notice any hesitation or roughness at idle either.

I replaced the TPS not long ago.

Should I adjust the TV cable a little at a time and keep testing. I'm going to need my shift points a little later correct?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:13 PM
OK_Ram
Rookie

I am a bit confused. Are you refering to overdrive as the transmission kicking down into a lower gear to pass? Seems strange that the transmission would shift up a gear when you floor it to pass. Are you saying that when you floored it to pass, it down shifted and just free revved until you let off the gas? Just trying to understand the nature of your problem.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:19 PM
brad_12
Amateur

Yes downshift and then miss sorry about that

Old 11-09-2012, 03:56 PM
OK_Ram
Rookie

If I had to guess I would first check your transmission fluid level and the condition of it. See if it is burnt. If that tells you nothing drop the pan and see wat if anything falls out or is in the pan. Only thing I could think of is that your bands are worn or that your Tq Converter is low on fluid and not engaging.

Quick Reply: Overdrive or TCC performance