2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hemifever sct tuner 9550 x2

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 AM
moparsr2fast
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question:
I am in the middle of freshening up my 5.9. Odessa 2.02s, HS 1.7 and OBX shorties. Everything else stock, cam, pistons ect... Am I going to need a tune, or will I get by with the stock tune? Bob

Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thing I bought mine back on Christmas. He even had a discount going on so I got it for around 260.

I still need to get my plenum fixed though..

Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by moparsr2fast
Question:
I am in the middle of freshening up my 5.9. Odessa 2.02s, HS 1.7 and OBX shorties. Everything else stock, cam, pistons ect... Am I going to need a tune, or will I get by with the stock tune? Bob
Put it all back together, drive it, and see what happens. The only thing that may prompt having to do a custom tune would be the bigger valves in the heads...... so, it's a crap shoot.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moparsr2fast
Question:
Originally Posted by HeyYou
Put it all back together, drive it, and see what happens. The only thing that may prompt having to do a custom tune would be the bigger valves in the heads...... so, it's a crap shoot.

Bigger valves will only increase flow through head (an improvement). I think stock PCM will work, but a tune would help (removes death flash...) You will like what it will do for you.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 PM
sethcorn

So would the 9550 still be beneficial, if I have CAI, Shorty headers, Highflow cat, and Magnaflow muffler? (No deathflash) I read a few people with even stock trucks have seen improvement.

Also, plenum fix coming next weekend as well, doesnt appear blown, but preventive maintenance. Hughes kit coming.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:12 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by sethcorn
So would the 9550 still be beneficial, if I have CAI, Shorty headers, Highflow cat, and Magnaflow muffler? (No deathflash) I read a few people with even stock trucks have seen improvement.

Also, plenum fix coming next weekend as well, doesnt appear blown, but preventive maintenance. Hughes kit coming.

Yes. And how do you know you don't have death flash? I suspect you do - on a 99.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Gaius
Veteran

Bummer. I've been meaning to get one for 3-4 years for my TJ. Now that I'm building my Wagoneer, I'll have to buy 2, and at $400 a piece that'll hurt...

Old 04-30-2013, 10:23 PM
sethcorn

Originally Posted by gdstock
Yes. And how do you know you don't have death flash? I suspect you do - on a 99.

I've looked in all the usual places, the PCM, Radiator mounts...etc, i've looked hard all over that motor for the sticker. Not that it couldn't of came off some where.

I'll more than likely get a tuner.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:50 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gdstock
Not true.
I've got a 98 that was used to tow cattle trailers, so it's been through a bazillion transmissions and likely a plenum or two. And I don't have the deathflash since A) I can actually chirp the tires if I want to and B) I don't have ping like it would with a deathflash.
Originally Posted by sethcorn
I've looked in all the usual places, the PCM, Radiator mounts...etc, i've looked hard all over that motor for the sticker. Not that it couldn't of came off some where.

I'll more than likely get a tuner.
Can you make your tires make noises right now?

Old 04-30-2013, 11:27 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Not true.
I've got a 98 that was used to tow cattle trailers, so it's been through a bazillion transmissions and likely a plenum or two. And I don't have the deathflash since A) I can actually chirp the tires if I want to and B) I don't have ping like it would with a deathflash.

Can you make your tires make noises right now?

WTF? Got another brochure since you were 5? I said "I suspect." You can't really say that it is "NOT TRUE" that I suspect something.

And "chirping tires" is not definitive proof of anything.

Stickers do fall off. I had no sticker, but I had the death flash. I "suspect" that more have it than don't, with the exception of those that have had it remove (such as with a tune).

Don't be so quick to discount what someone else says, especially if you don't read what it is they are actually saying.

Your age is getting the best of you. Slow done and take the time to think and allow for the possibility that some of the rest of us may actually know what we are talking about. "Patience, grasshopper...."

Quick Reply: hemifever sct tuner 9550 x2