2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

loss is oil pressure when engine is up to temp

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 09:43 AM
utahjd1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been searching around on the net and I guess I need a hardened shaft to run the HV pump. I may stick with stock like pump

Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

I have been running a high volume pump in mine for two years now, with the stock drive.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:59 PM
utahjd1
Rookie

Go the truck all back together.....I had to use a impact to get the nut of the main wire to the starter so I killed the starter.......I also broke the clip on the small wire to the starter do I have to buy a whole wiring harness or can I just buy a clip end?????
Thanks
Adam

Old 12-19-2013, 03:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Just pick up a couple of the crimp-on terminal ends. Quick and easy.

Old 12-20-2013, 04:03 AM
army_greywolf
Professional

Hey I want to add something, but it may be too late now...I wish you would have pulled the cap from the rear main AND the last connecting rod...drop a plastigage strip on both and check the wear... If it would have been too far out, you could have then hit it with a caliper or micrometer to get an idea if you can simply change out the bearings and put it back together...

But, as far as oil pressure, the oil gallery system pressurizes the mains(crank) above everything else. The oil flows to the cam bearings, then the rest of the oil is sent to the lifters, which if flow is low, nothing will make it's way up the pushrods and onto the rockers.

Another reason I want you to look at bearings. I think there may now be embedded material on the bearings from when your mechanic did the intake. In fact I find that to be a high probability. On a Magnum you can get to every bearing in the bottom end without pulling the crank. That may be frowned upon...but when bearings are 60 bucks why would you leave contaminated stuff in the engine. If you do it, when your done, pull the harmonic balancer and replace the cover seal because the weight of the crank resting on it makes it leak.

Of course...if the truck has bad rings...hell with it.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:44 AM
utahjd1
Rookie

Too late the motor is all back together. I'm slapping the starter in and starting the motor. If I don't get good oil pressure right off the bat I will look into it further.....I thought about checking the bearings on the crank and rods but didn't want to screw it up. I poured oil down both valve covers.
Thanks
Adam

Originally Posted by army_greywolf
Hey I want to add something, but it may be too late now...I wish you would have pulled the cap from the rear main AND the last connecting rod...drop a plastigage strip on both and check the wear... If it would have been too far out, you could have then hit it with a caliper or micrometer to get an idea if you can simply change out the bearings and put it back together...

But, as far as oil pressure, the oil gallery system pressurizes the mains(crank) above everything else. The oil flows to the cam bearings, then the rest of the oil is sent to the lifters, which if flow is low, nothing will make it's way up the pushrods and onto the rockers.

Another reason I want you to look at bearings. I think there may now be embedded material on the bearings from when your mechanic did the intake. In fact I find that to be a high probability. On a Magnum you can get to every bearing in the bottom end without pulling the crank. That may be frowned upon...but when bearings are 60 bucks why would you leave contaminated stuff in the engine. If you do it, when your done, pull the harmonic balancer and replace the cover seal because the weight of the crank resting on it makes it leak.

Of course...if the truck has bad rings...hell with it.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:08 PM
utahjd1
Rookie

truck is all put back together fixed a few other things while I was working on it. started the truck and was showing around 50ish at the gauge good amount of oil coming up through the push rods. at temp the oil pressure is around 30-35 ish. took a stethoscope a listen to the crank and a few other places no strange noised or knocks. I think I lucked out on this one. I guess it was a warning for not looking into problems when they first happen.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Awesome, it LIVES!

Drive it, and enjoy it.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:51 AM
army_greywolf
Professional

Hell yea man, dodge-d a bullet there.

Old 12-21-2013, 06:21 AM
utahjd1
Rookie

I have one question about bearings........I know all the pushrod bearing can be changed with the motor in the truck.....but what about the crank. All the bottom bearings can be changed but what about the top ones????? Just something I've been thinking about.....Thank god I don't have to do it.

Quick Reply: loss is oil pressure when engine is up to temp