2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

check engine light/no codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 07:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

is it blinking, or on solid?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:18 AM
Bamabrat
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My CEL came on a day or so ago. I had to return my serp belt from auto zone since they gave me the one for a dealer installed ac, not the factory installed ac (it was about 2 inches shorter). My old belt sounded like a stuck pig. On my way to Auto Zone, the CEL came on, but my truck felt normal. Had them check...no codes. Disconnected the battery and cleared the code. Replaced my serp belt last night, and the CEL hasn't shown up yet, but I'm watching for it.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:44 PM
ReadRam
All Star

It"s comes on solid and stays that way until cleared with scan tool, or I pull the neg battery cable for a bit. My IAC quit working awhile back and the CEL never came on , but I figured it was more of mechanical failure. Idle was stuck up around 1200 rpm until I replaced it. It drives me nuts to drive with it on, even with no codes.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's kinda weird. If the lights on, the PCM is annoyed about something...... would be nice if it would TELL YOU what it was annoyed about..... I am just not into guessing games with my truck.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:15 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Update...The CEL came on couple more times at random miles driven. I did notice that it ran better for a short while after clearing the light, with no codes.
A few days ago (no light) I thought it was getting doggy so I did a quick reset, pulled the neg cable , turned the head lights on, stepped on the brake pedal, turned the key on 3 times....etc..
Ever since it's been running awesome, way more power, better throttle response, better transmission shifting, it even sounds different accelerating. I don't why, but I'm happier than a pig in mud. Didn't know what I was missing!

Old 12-18-2014, 03:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Clearing codes does exactly that. Clears codes. Disconnecting the battery resets the entire PCM. It forgets everything it ever knew about running your truck, and is forced to re-learn everything. Keep in mind, that your PCM also learns your driving STYLE. Maybe not part of the original intention of adaptive programming, but, it sure is a side benefit.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:52 PM
ReadRam
All Star

I've disconnected the battery around 5-6 times in the past few months. And just cleared the light with four different scan tools, that could not retrieve a code when the CEL was on, over last 6 months.
Is it possible the previous owner had used a tuner of some sort and all this resetting of the pcm finally got it back right. Because it was an immediate difference in engine performance after this last pcm reset. It was like taking 1000lbs off the truck. Feels light as a feather taking off from a dead stop. And it used to really fall on it's face going into overdrive, so much so,that I had got in the habit of hitting the OD off button.
Maybe my PCM is messed up and this is just a fluke, time will tell. I was thinking of trying a new pcm, but I'm going to wait on that. Any light you can shed on this mysterious behavior?

Last edited by ReadRam; 12-18-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:58 AM
cjantczak
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 99 has the same deal. My code reader wont read it. The guy that had the truck before me had chrysler scan it and it came back with the computer wasnt sending a signal to the purge valve solenoid and the only way to fix it is a new pcm, it wasnt bothering anything so he just left it and i just scan the computer every few hundred miles to see if theres any stored codes.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:42 AM
Rashid Rolle
Default Did you find out what it was ?

Originally Posted by ReadRam
CEL is still coming on at random. I've used three different scan tools, a couple were capable of reading live data and no codes were present. Last night I pulled the injector harness off #4 to force a CEL, which it did. I did get a code for injector circuit, so at least I know the PCM will detect an actual problem. But it's coming on every few hundred miles recently, with no codes.
As far as driveability, it does seem to be more nimble after I reset the PCM, but it could be my imagination.
Anyone have a similar issue? It comes on while accelerating to highway speed. Twice on the same exit, months apart.
Am having that same problem did you ever found out what it was ?

Quick Reply: check engine light/no codes