2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

jumping rpms

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 07:34 AM
DoubleL24
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jumping rpms

Hey guys, my dad has a 99 ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.2. When your driving at 60mph the rpms jump up and down about 500rpms. Anyone know what would cause this?

Old 03-01-2014, 07:43 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Torque converter lock up is wigging out maybe.

Old 03-01-2014, 08:59 AM
brink5
Rookie

I would check out your throttle position sensor. the TPS is easy to replace and fairly inexpensive. It's also one of the few sensors that I would tell you you do not need to purchase from the dealership. Seems like any aftermarket TPS works just fine on these engine. Wish I could say that about all the other sensors lol!

If you want to test it first, check out youtube for a turtorial and get a voltage meter.

Old 03-01-2014, 10:24 AM
DoubleL24
Professional

Originally Posted by brink5
I would check out your throttle position sensor. the TPS is easy to replace and fairly inexpensive. It's also one of the few sensors that I would tell you you do not need to purchase from the dealership. Seems like any aftermarket TPS works just fine on these engine. Wish I could say that about all the other sensors lol!

If you want to test it first, check out youtube for a turtorial and get a voltage meter.
Ok i will check out youtube. Thanks

Old 08-31-2014, 02:46 PM
saabsnob

After searching the forums, I figure I need a new TPS, I went under the hood and after removing the air filter box cover, Top sensor is IAC and under that is the TPS. Remove Air filter cover and move it asside. Then with a 11mm socket remove the four nuts to remove the air box from trottle body. Remove the 3 prong cable from the tps. Remove the 2 torx head screws with a t25. assemble reverse order but ensure the inside female slot aligns with flat male rod that connects the butterfly vavle.

1998 ram quad cab 2500HD 488 cid magnum No its not a a Hemi

Attached Thumbnails jumping rpms-photo-2.jpg  

Last edited by saabsnob; 08-31-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:54 PM
ReadRam
All Star

The TPS is on the drivers side of throttle body. The IAC is on the back side of TB toward the firewall.
Disconnect neg battery cable when replacing the TPS.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:36 PM
saabsnob

Readram, Thanks for the battery cable reminder. I decided to go for it and this is what I can conclude:

I went under the hood disconnected the battery Negative cable. The IAC is the top sensor on the trottlebody (TB) photo the one under it is the throttle position sensor (TPS). Need to remove the Air box cover and filter and move them aside. Then remove the four 11 mm nuts to remove the airbox from the TB. Now unplug the three prong connector form the TPS. Using a t25 remove the two torx head screws. Refit is reverse order, but ensure the female connector is aligned with the flat make protrusion of the butterfly valve shaft.

1998 ram quad cab 2500HD 488 cid magnum No its not a a Hemi

Quick Reply: jumping rpms