2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Emission Test Failed ! (California smog) - All Other Pass. 95 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 09:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Just one on the 95, assuming federal emissions. Not sure about Ca.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:33 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my idea may not work. but i did read about putting a LOT of methanol in the gas. as much as 40% it will run bad but pass the tail pipe test. or E-85 might work. hope that helps

Old 03-06-2014, 09:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

I don't think our trucks will run on E85......

Old 03-06-2014, 09:54 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Even if they did gotta wonder just how much damage that will do to the fuel system...

Old 03-06-2014, 10:08 PM
bosanci28
Professional

Yap, E85 may not work as it may do some stuff on the fuel lines...or whatever that E85 goes...

Even on the diesel engine if you want to switch to bio-diesel from my learning ,you must have a rebuild on the injection pomp to work for bio-diesel (i mean gaskets,o-rings), and everything on the diesel lines,as the bio-diesel well those hoses if they not made for bio-diesel to go through them.

Still have to figure what O2 to buy...Will call Friday to stealers to see how much they want.

Thanks!...

Old 03-06-2014, 10:33 PM
oxymoron29
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bosanci28
I will say about 40,45.000 miles.
i look but can't tell the brand as it has some metal guards that covers the CAT.

It is welded to the original exhaust pipe.
IMO I'd be looking for a new cat, that's quite a few miles for an aftermarket. A lot of aftermarket cats are absolute garbage longevity-wise. I have an old Sunbird that's been in the family since new that runs absolutely perfect, oil looks brand new after 5000km's. I had replaced the cat with a "Lapointe" (standard replacement) brand cat for an e-test, as the original was finally toast. Passed with readings around half of limit values. 2 years down the road when I was due for an e-test again, the car failed. Dicked around with timing, new oxygen sensors, different octane fuel, methyl hydrate for the longest time as the cat was the last thing I'd figured needed replacing. Ended up sticking on a new Magnaflow cat and it blew zeros across the board.

Not saying this is your issue for sure, just sharing experiences. If your truck is otherwise running well (which it seems to be) I'd look into a replacement as they aren't all that expensive anyway.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the NGK from Napa. Get both the front and rear. Meaning one goes in towards the front of the CAT and one is behind it. If you can only get one, then get the front one.

Go to the dealer and get a new PCV valve. It's actually cheap, like $12 or something. The Roseville dealer is great to deal with actually.

Do the oil/filter change like you said. Get the wix filter from Napa and oil can be 10-30 weight. Go dyno or Mobil 1.

Get some dielectric spray from Napa and spray into the boot of the coil wire and spark plug wires.

Check all your vacuum lines to be sure no leaks.

This includes checking all the lines back to the evap canister, which is located on passenger side frame rail in front of rear tire. Be gentle though as they could be brittle. Will probably work to get a squirt bottle with soapy water and to squirt areas. Bubbles will show.

Get out your FSM and torque the intake manifold bolts to spec.

Clean your battery terminals off with some coca-cola.

Spray the dielectric stuff on ground wire locations (next to power steering pump, behind driver headlight, up on firewall under flashing).

What size tires are you running?

I hope you are going to a Pay only if Pass smog station. If not, then find one and only go there.

PM me if you want more local help as I'm in Folsom.

And i see at napa, that Ngk is Oe.
How many O2 there are on 1995 year? i got only one o2.

As i look at the auto parts , and they say O2 for Rear of converter or front on the converter, and mine is on the converter, confusing their info and i have the 4 wire with square plug.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:35 PM
bosanci28
Professional

Originally Posted by oxymoron29
IMO I'd be looking for a new cat, that's quite a few miles for an aftermarket. A lot of aftermarket cats are absolute garbage longevity-wise. I have an old Sunbird that's been in the family since new that runs absolutely perfect, oil looks brand new after 5000km's. I had replaced the cat with a "Lapointe" (standard replacement) brand cat for an e-test, as the original was finally toast. Passed with readings around half of limit values. 2 years down the road when I was due for an e-test again, the car failed. Dicked around with timing, new oxygen sensors, different octane fuel, methyl hydrate for the longest time as the cat was the last thing I'd figured needed replacing. Ended up sticking on a new Magnaflow cat and it blew zeros across the board.

Not saying this is your issue for sure, just sharing experiences. If your truck is otherwise running well (which it seems to be) I'd look into a replacement as they aren't all that expensive anyway.
Thanks for the advice!

I have went under the truck to do a better inspection on the CAT , and i see that i have a Magnaflow 99067HM Date 07/09
Looks exactly like this one:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02catalytic...versal=99067HM

and i have one O2 in the front , the rear is plugged and i don't even see a wire there,so must be 1 O2 on this year.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:45 PM
bosanci28
Professional

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Get the NGK from Napa. Get both the front and rear. Meaning one goes in towards the front of the CAT and one is behind it. If you can only get one, then get the front one.

Go to the dealer and get a new PCV valve. It's actually cheap, like $12 or something. The Roseville dealer is great to deal with actually.

Do the oil/filter change like you said. Get the wix filter from Napa and oil can be 10-30 weight. Go dyno or Mobil 1.

Get some dielectric spray from Napa and spray into the boot of the coil wire and spark plug wires.

Check all your vacuum lines to be sure no leaks.

This includes checking all the lines back to the evap canister, which is located on passenger side frame rail in front of rear tire. Be gentle though as they could be brittle. Will probably work to get a squirt bottle with soapy water and to squirt areas. Bubbles will show.

Get out your FSM and torque the intake manifold bolts to spec.

Clean your battery terminals off with some coca-cola.

Spray the dielectric stuff on ground wire locations (next to power steering pump, behind driver headlight, up on firewall under flashing).

What size tires are you running?

I hope you are going to a Pay only if Pass smog station. If not, then find one and only go there.

PM me if you want more local help as I'm in Folsom.
Thank you for Advice and Replying !

Really nice list in what to do! Will follow it!.

Will get some of the stuff from Riebe's Auto / Aka Napa , same brand ,as they are closer to me in Rocklin,

The PCV Valve is the on the passenger side? the small one. (on the valve cover)

As for vacuums , for what i know you can check with "brake spray ?" just spray and if the engine start idling then a problem maybe there, if i am correct.

Tires: I have Pirelli Scorpion ATR P275/55R20 111SM+S

I went to "Smog Stop" in Roseville , went there all the time with my cars , the guy said to come for free re-test,and i told him what about
if i change some things and will fail again,he will do a third time free re-test, witch will be good ,as i paid them alraidy $31.75 (without the $8 certificate).

Anyway, will let you know if i need any advice will pm you! Really appreciate that !.

Thank you so much, and will try to get done few things Friday.

Regards !

Old 03-06-2014, 11:51 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Hi,

I see that there are : NGK,Bosch,Denso

And i see at napa, that Ngk is Oe.
NGK and NTK are the same company...

Amazon Amazon

Amazon.com: NGK 23099 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: NGK 23099 Oxygen Sensor: Automotive

Quick Reply: Emission Test Failed ! (California smog) - All Other Pass. 95 Ram 1500