2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum gasket causing loss of oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 12:50 PM
ngmillar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the timing chain I did my plenum and didnt do the chain a month later I realized I needed to do the chain. Took about 4-5 hours but would have only added about an hour to the plenum job if I just did it then and I mean your almost there anyways when doing the plenum

Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 PM
Brandontenold
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Rings have nothing to do with oil pressure. That's all bearings and such. Rings are just oil consumption.

Grab the 01 service manual from the faq section, there is a torque sequence you must follow on the intake, it is listed in there. (along with torque specs.)

I heard the engine has to be pulled, all the gaskets changed, and a complete tear down for rings.. I'll just tell myself they are okay lol

Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 PM
ngmillar
Professional

Originally Posted by Brandontenold
Attempted to do a test last night, but ruined three plug wires because I was being stupid and didn't twist them off and then pull them. I'm also noticing my oil consumption isn't as bad after a new battery, and I've been driving a little less agressive. I topped it off 300 miles ago and it's still just over the safe mark. I was also told if I had bad rings, I'd lose a lot of oil pressure. My pressure is really good.. Stays within the normal scale.

I'm going to leave it alone. For now.

This weekend the plenum goes in. I've been doing a pile of research, I'm buying some seafoam and I'm going to let the plate soak In it, and run a can thru the intake when I'm done. Just hoping nothing is brittle and ends up breaking.. My parts truck was tipped over so I can get the T-case.. And I can't get to it with the 3 inches of mud we have if I break something.

Sooo... Anyone give me the torque specs for the TTY bolts and the plate bolts?
http://www.****************.com/smf/...p?topic=9504.0

This write may help you. I know It helped me.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:14 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard the engine has to be pulled, all the gaskets changed, and a complete tear down for rings.. I'll just tell myself they are okay lol
Just need to pull the heads and oil pan to re-ring it.
That's assuming your cylinders are good and it doesn't have to be bored out.

Last edited by Arde; 03-19-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:34 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sooo... Anyone give me the torque specs for the TTY bolts and the plate bolts?
IIRC, the plenum plate bolts were to be torqued to 18 ft lbs and the intake mani bolts are to be torqued to 12 ft lbs....I converted 12 ft lbs to inch pounds so I could feel the click better on an inch pound torque wrench.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't already, download the FSM from the DIY/FAQ section here for your truck. There's a three step torque sequence that's important to be followed to avoid leaks for the kegger.

Old 03-19-2014, 02:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Do a dry/wet compression test. That will tell you what kind of shape your rings are in.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:24 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Originally Posted by chromed95
IIRC, the plenum plate bolts were to be torqued to 18 ft lbs and the intake mani bolts are to be torqued to 12 ft lbs....I converted 12 ft lbs to inch pounds so I could feel the click better on an inch pound torque wrench.
Plenum plate bolts end up at 84 in lbs but not all at one shot. So look things up before starting. There is a sequence for a reason. Am doing mine tomorrow and that's what the FSM says. Also doing double roller timing chain and waterpump and thermostat while it's apart. Can't wait!

Old 03-20-2014, 12:20 AM
Brandontenold
Rookie

Originally Posted by ReadRam
Plenum plate bolts end up at 84 in lbs but not all at one shot. So look things up before starting. There is a sequence for a reason. Am doing mine tomorrow and that's what the FSM says. Also doing double roller timing chain and waterpump and thermostat while it's apart. Can't wait!

Come back and tell me what gains in power you get, and if it runs better.. Guess my project has to wait till next week.. Saturday I have a garage to clean and Sunday im seeing a friend.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:29 PM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ReadRam
yeah I remember that now. its a three step sequence starting with 18 or something close to that. Anyways, have fun with yours!

Quick Reply: Plenum gasket causing loss of oil?