2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94 5.9 dies possible tranny problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 11:08 AM
redneck411
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 5.9 dies possible tranny problem

Ok so bought the truck from my brother because he was tired of dealing with it, has numerous new parts including all sensors and computer. Trans was rebuilt about 2 years ago. Here's the issue the truck dies just driving and intermittently when it does the injectors and fuel pump keep running and the tach bounces around 5k rpms until you cult the key. Didn't happen every time though but does die within a few hundred feet.put the truck in reverse or 4h and the thing didn't die driven sevral miles in reverse and with 4h engaged but almost immediately after you put out in drive or 2h it dies. It is throwing 2 transmission codes 37 and 45 iirc.I've been taking my brain not wanting to just throw parts at it like he has just need some direction and hopefully a fix.Abby help well be appreciated

Old 03-30-2014, 02:02 PM
redneck411

Bump anyone

Old 03-30-2014, 04:33 PM
sam3293
Professional

Try monteC transmission sticky post there

Old 03-31-2014, 04:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

37 Torque converter clutch circuit, or trans temp circuit.

A short in the TCC circuit would have it engaged all the time, as soon as you put the truck in gear, it should jerk, and quit..... (like dumping the clutch on a manual trans.)

45 Is trans O/D circuit open or short..... Being shorted could be fun, truck would always be in O/D...... open, it would never go into O/D.

Start checking wiring harnesses for shorted wires. That may explain the injectors staying on as well.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:06 PM
redneck411

Looked thru monteC sticky, no luck there. Pulling the harness and basically doing a soft rebuild of it addressing major issues in it, and the solenoids being shorted sounds right to be but why wouldn't it do it in 4wd? I can understand reverse being the fluid is taking a totally different path. Could there be a problem with the torque converter causing the issue also, is there any way to test the solenoids? Thanks

Old 04-01-2014, 11:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Wonder if there is a problem with the harness, that is only present when the engine torques over a bit when you put it in gear..... Take a look at the connector on the drivers side of the trans, about halfway back. (that is the one for TCC, and O/D solenoids.)

Old 04-05-2014, 01:30 PM
redneck411

Ok, so I pulled the pan changed the solenoid pack took care of the 45 code, still have the 37 still dying in all gears except p,n,r. And it's also dying in 4h, and 4lo. The injectors firing is only intermittent agree it dies.I'm guessing the nano second it's dying it hits a hole in the reluctor wheel and thinking the motor it's revving thru the roof, just my thought on that one. And unfortunately there were metal shavings in the pan was hoping that was residual from the last converter blowing up, so my guess is the front pump is chewing the converter up and causing it to lick up and stall the motor, still going to check the wiring before taking the tranny out for a rebuild and new pump, do you guys think it's the right course of action?

Quick Reply: 94 5.9 dies possible tranny problem