2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trail Carnage.. help :\

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 10:18 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's entirely possible the t/c is causing the problem, trouble is, when it fails like that, it tends to scatter crap all thru the trans, so, just replacing the t/c is only a very temporary fix, and throws away yet another t/c. (it is basically impossible to ensure you have cleaned all the crap out of one, without cutting it open.....)

I would either rebuild the current trans, or, swap in another one. (flush the cooler lines REALLY well.) I don't think this is going to be an 'easy' fix.
:\ not to mention I don't think this would cause it to be slipping. Dang I did a good job. Being vehicle less sucks... I'm going to go buy a small car so from on I've got a backup.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:10 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sucks man. So you going to rebuild it or 5 speed?

Old 07-20-2014, 11:38 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by snowboundrmk
That sucks man. So you going to rebuild it or 5 speed?
That's where I'm stuck.. I'm definately not rebuilding it. It's a $1000 truck. No point in putting a $2000 tranny in it. As for 5 speed swap, good idea but very very rare especially where I am. I'm at the point now where I have to deside if its worth it. I haven't even diagnosed the other problems yet. My rear end squeaks, I have no power steering, motor is hesitating.. Yeah. But I need a vehicle regardless

Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 AM
Johnn123
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your trans TP. That sucks. At least she goes out in glory though right?

Old 07-21-2014, 12:55 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by Johnn123
Sorry to hear about your trans TP. That sucks. At least she goes out in glory though right?
Yes, sir. She got me home, that's what counts. Out faithful never leaves me stranded.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:02 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look for a cheap used 5 spd gutrag they should be easier to find. Park her out back and in 3 or 4 months you can have my 46re. Its leaving to be replaced with this.

You pull the back wheel and brake drum's see if they are plugged with mud and ****.

Old 07-21-2014, 03:01 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Look for a cheap used 5 spd gutrag they should be easier to find. Park her out back and in 3 or 4 months you can have my 46re. Its leaving to be replaced with this.

You pull the back wheel and brake drum's see if they are plugged with mud and ****.
Hmm what do you have there, Mark?

Oh yeah I've fully cleaned the truck, including drums.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:08 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DSL NV4500HD

You pull the diff covers and go through them? I can't watch the vid so I have to ask Q's.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:05 PM
ClubCab5.9
Professional

Originally Posted by Thornloe Pride
:\ not to mention I don't think this would cause it to be slipping. Dang I did a good job. Being vehicle less sucks... I'm going to go buy a small car so from on I've got a backup.
You should of used the chebby on 44's to go muddin. Thats what its build for?https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3152312-post358.html

Old 08-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by ClubCab5.9
You should of used the chebby on 44's to go muddin. Thats what its build for?https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3152312-post358.html
I sold her. She was fun but it wasn't road worthy so couldn't go anywhere. I would need a cummins just to pull it because she was HEAVY!!! Close to 8000lbs. Fun hobby but too much of a hassle to transport and it was never running good. It was pumping out some serious horsepower and every second weekend I had to replace something else. That would've been a sweet trail to take her down though. I'm thinking of buying a tj jeep and making it into a road worthy offroad capable jeep and then buying another 2nd gen 4x4 ram and keeping it shiny and on the highway. Thinking about it..

So, my dodge... Trucks been sitting for a week. Buddy of mine came over last night and we got talkin about it. He wanted to see what it does so whatever sure. Took it around the yard, hmmm no slip. Took it down the road, no slip. Drove 15 miles, no slip. What the heck is goin on!?!?! She's making a liar out of me. Got all 4 gears This is the furthest I drove with it since I got home from the trail. This morning I took it to the gas station and worked fine as well. Is there anything in a transmission that could've been water logged? I know transmissions don't fix themselves but, well.. :s

Quick Reply: Trail Carnage.. help :\