2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trail Carnage.. help :\

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,196 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Maybe something was fouled, that is now un-fouled...... Think I would take it for a longer test drive, (with backup) and see how it does. re-check fluid, and take it from there.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Maybe something was fouled, that is now un-fouled...... Think I would take it for a longer test drive, (with backup) and see how it does. re-check fluid, and take it from there.
I'm getting the girlfriend to pick up some Seafoam trans tune (supposed to clean and remove moisture) and I'm going to dump that in and take it for a good ride.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm getting a lot of good reviews on Seafoam Trans Tune and Lucas Tranny Fix on transmissions, but not on dodge transmissions. I use seafoam on my engine but don't use for trannys?

Last edited by Thornloe Pride; 08-05-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

MonteC, our one-time resident trans guru, didn't recommend putting ANYTHING of that nature in the trans. Just ATF +4.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:23 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Originally Posted by HeyYou
MonteC, our one-time resident trans guru, didn't recommend putting ANYTHING of that nature in the trans. Just ATF +4.
Okay. What do you recommend? Drive it like it is? I see there's a little water residue on dipstick. I've changed the fluid 3 times but this was a week ago. Another change or drive as is and see what happens?

Old 08-05-2014, 02:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If the fluid looks ok, (not milky) drive it for a bit. See how it behaves. If it seems to be working as it should, change the fluid again.

Unfortunately, you don't WANT your trans to get hot enough to boil the water out of the fluid..... other bad things happen when the fluid gets that hot.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:53 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will admit to using the Seafoam Trans Tune stuff in my 46RE. I can't say if it had any affect or not.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Letting the transmission drain overnight. Maybe I'll get an extra litre or so out. Lots of water, which at this point is a good thing. Means the water is out now, at least what was in the pan and above the filter. Pan was covered in white paste. Maybe having it sit for a week was a good thing because haven't seen this much water yet. I'll fill it back up tomorrow and see what happens.

Old 08-06-2014, 11:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, probably gave it a chance to settle out.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:36 AM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

She's back boys. Old faithful is alive once again. Old faithful never dies.. She only learns limits!!

Took it for a GOOD run today with new fluid. Didn't slip. When I got to my destination I could smell tranny fluid. I've been smelling it for a while now once it gets hot. I won't say it's good but there's definitely a bandaid on it right now.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Thornloe Pride
Captain

Ran a little worse this morning. When it cold it's fine but after running for 5 minutes not as good. Seems to be good when moving but slow to take off from a stop. Like really slow. I drove approximately 20 miles to my destination and the pan is too hot to touch for more than a second, tranny fluid itself doesn't smell burnt but its hot. Fluids clean though. I think 90% of the water is out. However, my in and out tranny lines to the rad are cold to the touch. That doesn't make sense to me. I picked up a tranny cooler last night so I'm going to install that as soon as I find why or how the tranny lines are cold. Where could it block in the in line? Can also smell a potent tranny fluid smell from standing outside the truck. No visible or signs of a leak.

Last edited by Thornloe Pride; 08-07-2014 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Trail Carnage.. help :\