2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slow Start, replaced a ton of parts still doing it

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 04:23 PM
bomber 1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so i had the line coming off the passenger side hooked into the green line. I moved it to the white line. if the green is just a vent is it ok that there is nothing hooked up to it in the engine compartment? My 4x4 is no longer hooked up to the vacuum system, i have a POSI cable to actuate my axle. When i installed it i just plugged the red and black vacuum lines next to the CAD unit.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:42 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I haven't seen the air filter mentioned yet. Take it out and try it. Sometimes they are more plugged then they appear. Maybe the coil is weak or the timing is off. When do the timing chains get sloppy?

Last edited by 2bit; 07-24-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:15 AM
bomber 1
Amateur

The air filter is good. Even tested by removing it and it didn't help. Timing chain was replaced at 100k so it should be fine. I tested the coil which is new. According to the chilton manual I should have 12k-15k ohms and when i tested it i only got 10.5k. so I may have gotten a bad coil. Im going to take it back to the parts store and get another one.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:57 AM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

i have similar issue. but mine only long cranks on a cold start. lets say 4/5 cold starts 4 times it takes 4-5 seconds for it to finally turn over. once in a while it will sputter to life. when i say sputter i literally mean sputter where it just doesnt seem to want to start and then it fires up and its fine. after its warmed up it fires right up for the rest of the day.

Old 08-14-2014, 02:21 AM
bomber 1
Amateur

Replaced the coil, and tested the tps. Still doing the same thing. The part that I don't get is that if I turn the key on and wait for a second it will start just fine. What else should I look at?

Old 08-14-2014, 10:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

That would kinda indicate a fuel pressure issue.... but, you have a new pump, and pressure is good....

When you changed the injectors, did you clean out the fuel rail good?

Old 08-14-2014, 02:25 PM
bomber 1
Amateur

Yes cleaned out fuel rail. I double checked my fuel pressure today. Still holds pressure fine. I can start the truck, and shut it off and then try and start it 5 seconds later and it has problems. turn key on for a few seconds and fires up fine every time. I am pretty sure i do not have a fuel problem.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

May just be a quirk of the programming, and you are simply stuck with it.....

Or... possibly bad connection at the temp sensor?

Old 08-14-2014, 10:00 PM
dodgeit1999
Amateur

I know you replaced the fuel pump and have good pressure, to me it sounds like your fuel is losing prime at the inital, thats why it starts after you wait a few seconds. Im a diesel tech and ive had a few issues with hard starting due to a fuel filter sitting cocked and allowing air to get in or a water drain valve missing an o-ring. Both thoses cases the machine had to be fired off wd-40. As soon as it fired it ran like a champ ! After you turn it off it wouldnt fire on its own. Im pretty sure your issue is fuel related. The fuel system isnt a return style. Meaning that the computer tells the pump to push fuel at a given pressure and every thing flowed to the rail is used. If you have a sticking valve or port on the pump it might not send the right pressure at the inital turn of the key

Old 08-15-2014, 12:30 AM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone more knowledgeable than me chime in here please, but doesn't the hard-to-start immediately after shutdown indicate a MAF problem?

(I'm chasing a similar problem to yours, and have a box full of sensors coming from rock auto because I didn't like my test results on any of them...)

Quick Reply: Slow Start, replaced a ton of parts still doing it