2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weird "Shimmy" when hitting bumps or dips??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Racinfan83
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird "Shimmy" when hitting bumps or dips??

This is NOT the "death wobble" that everyone talks about. It is not a "shake" - it is like being in a boat on the water when you go over a dip or hump in the road. Settles down after a couple "sashays" past the bump. Truck drives pretty straight until you upset it with a dip/bump. It moves side to side pretty significantly over a bump though. I have recently changed the shocks - which didn't help, had it aligned - which didn't help either. Tires are kinda suspect, and the alignment guy said he thought the belts were shifted in them or something. ( I have new tires ordered as we speak ) Don't think there is anything loose in the front end - he would've had to fix anything to align it. 2001 4x4 QC with 150k miles. Stock size tires.
Does this sound like a tire issue to you guys - or do I need to be looking elsewhere? Been thinking about 2500 coils in front and having spring company add a leaf or two to the rears anyway. Could bad springs make it do this even with brand new shocks?

Old 07-23-2014, 06:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Shocks are what give you the 'boat float' sensation. What brand shocks did you get?

Old 07-23-2014, 10:45 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my truck, the previous owner had not taken very good care of it. The first time I drove it, it was all over the road, and if you hit even the smallest bump in the road it would try and change lanes by it self. I took it to a local shop and had them check it out. My truck needed new shocks, new tie rods, new track bar, new sway bar ends, and new brakes, and two new u-joints. When I got my truck back from the shop, it was a totally different truck in the ride and feel going down the road. I still need to replace the steering gear box because its bad, and im also going to have the ball joint and hubs replaced. With a 168,000 miles on them, there worn out.

Your truck with the mileage it has on it is probably in need of some new suspension parts to fix the problems your having.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:25 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

Shocks are new Monroe Gas Magnums. I have kept the truck up pretty well - we have state inspections here and they check all suspension parts every 2 years. Not saying it doesn't need a new bushing here and there - but there is nothing loose.
Could a worn steering stabilizer shock cause my issue? Never have changed it.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The people that do the inspections are looking for obvious things that they can see, so problems like your having won`t be found by them. My 2000 dodge ram, even with all of the work that I have had done still had the same problem that your having, but not as bad. If you hit a bump it moves side to side, and the reason it does is because the steering box is shot, and has a lot of play in it because its worn out. So if you want a specific answer to your problem, I would tell you to replace the steering gear box and the track bar. The steering boxes on our trucks are known to be poor quality even when new. I have a Borgeson steering box that will be replacing the stock steering box very soon. It is an upgrade over the stock steering box.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:12 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

Ok cool. I will look into that... Thanks!

Quick Reply: Weird "Shimmy" when hitting bumps or dips??