2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4wd tips on properly installing axle shafts for a first timer.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:34 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd tips on properly installing axle shafts for a first timer.

just like the title says. this weekend im going to be replacing the upper and lower ball joints on my truck. the only part im concerned about only because ive never done it is putting the axles back in without busting those seals.

any tips you guys can give me? thanks in advance

Old 10-16-2014, 12:35 AM
sam3293
Professional

Never had trouble getting the shafts back in.Getting the hub assembly separated is more of a pain till i figured out how to press it out.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:56 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just don't slam them in. You know, feel your way just like you are discovering God's country with the lady....

Old 10-17-2014, 10:12 PM
BrandonBuc'em
Veteran

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Just don't slam them in. You know, feel your way just like you are discovering God's country with the lady....
haha gave me a good laugh. im not worried about getting the hub assemblies off because i replaced both hubs a few months ago, getting the hub nut and all the other fasteners shouldnt be too much a hassle. im just worried about breaking those seals putting the axles back in.

also, only my upper ball joints are bad, but you think it would be wise just to replace the lower ball joint while i have it all apart? or only fix what is broke? im battling myself a bit as you can probably tell. lol thanks guys.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:55 PM
rollinlow
Professional

take it apart once and be done with it, be gentle when putting the shafts back in

Quick Reply: 4wd tips on properly installing axle shafts for a first timer.