2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Warm Up Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 01:28 PM
djbucky3
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys sure you dont want to give him a week long list of things to do while hes in there?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djbucky3
You guys sure you dont want to give him a week long list of things to do while hes in there?
We already did.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:37 PM
djbucky3
Captain

two week long* then :P

Old 10-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Bamabrat
Professional

Originally Posted by 1997JollyGreenGiant
He's talking about the Intake Manifold gaskets. Get Felpro ones for that. They actually sell an intake gasket kit. You could just grab that.

Here's what I used when I did my timing chain: http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-37.html

You'll be replacing the Timing Chain (with a double roller chain), the Camshaft Sprocket and the Crankshaft Sprocket. You're current chain probably has a lot of slack in it, and a new chain takes that slack out. That slack messes with the timing and if the chain is bad enough, your truck can jump time.

I would recommend having a 3-jaw puller handy when you do your timing chain. My crankshaft sprocket wouldn't come off and I had to use a puller. Call a local parts store and see if they will rent you a 3-jaw puller and a harmonic balancer puller.
So just to be sure I have this right, I have already bought the plenum repair kit, and need to buy a new intake manifold gasket kit (fel pro), double roller timing chain, camshaft sprocket, and crankshaft sprocket. Any seals that for the timing chain cover? Anything else that I need to strongly consider if/when I get it this far dismantled? As someone has already said, this has gone from a weekend to a week to repair, but I'll learn a lot doing it. How do I know if my water pump should be replaced? What about hoses? What else? My truck IS my primary vehicle, but if necessary, I can ride my motorcycle or use my wife's Dodge Journey.

I guess the problem right now is that I don't know where all of these parts are located on the truck, or how to tell if they need to be replaced. I'll take a look at my haynes manual and my truck and figure it out.

To replace the chain, I assume I can't just put the chain anywhere on the sprockets. I don't understand what I was reading about adding +4 to get more low-end torque. How do I know I'm aligning the chain on the sprockets correctly and I don't completely screw up the timing on my truck?

Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your timing chain set will come with the gears. Don't need to worry about that.

To replace you do this.

Take old chain and sprockets off. DO NOT MOVE ANYTHING. then simply put the new sprockets and chain on. done.

Will need a timing cover gasket

How old is your water pump? You will have to take it off. if it's old might be wise to replace it if funds allow while everything is broken down.

This is not a week long job. Just a week end job.

It sounds confusing at first, but going into it head first is how I learn. Taking stuff apart and now I know where everything is and how it works.

Water pump hose from intake to the pump is a good thing to replace.

How old are your plugs and wires? Dizzy cap and rotor? A lot easier to replace with the intake off. But not neccessary.

I might have some pictures I post up Idk I thought I lost them

Old 10-21-2014, 04:37 PM
Bamabrat
Professional

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Your timing chain set will come with the gears. Don't need to worry about that.

To replace you do this.

Take old chain and sprockets off. DO NOT MOVE ANYTHING. then simply put the new sprockets and chain on. done.

Will need a timing cover gasket

How old is your water pump? You will have to take it off. if it's old might be wise to replace it if funds allow while everything is broken down.

This is not a week long job. Just a week end job.

It sounds confusing at first, but going into it head first is how I learn. Taking stuff apart and now I know where everything is and how it works.

Water pump hose from intake to the pump is a good thing to replace.

How old are your plugs and wires? Dizzy cap and rotor? A lot easier to replace with the intake off. But not neccessary.

I might have some pictures I post up Idk I thought I lost them
That's how I learn also. i don't (and won't) understand it by looking at a book. I have to dig into it. Just last weekend I replaced the valve cover gaskets, plugs and wires, differential gasket, gear oil, etc. I didn't think about the dizzy cap, but should have. I can do that at anytime, however. I just bought the truck a month ago. I have no idea how old the water pump is, but from what i've found so far, I'd guess it was replaced around 1999. That's the last time the hoses were looked at as well.

Ok, i've looked a couple different places for the timing chain / sprocket set for sale. I can't find it. Does anyone have a link to a good one?

Old 10-21-2014, 04:54 PM
Bamabrat
Professional

I've asked 2 different long-time members if they knew where I could find a link to a service manual for my truck (1999 1500 2wd 5.2L) and neither ever responded. The link in the DIY sticky from JasonW doesn't work anymore. Does anyone know where I can get the PDF so I can save it to my pc?

Old 10-21-2014, 04:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Service manual thread. Link for 98-99 works just fine for me. Save it to your local machine. Loads faster that way.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:29 PM
Bamabrat
Professional

Thanks Hey You. That's what I am trying to do. The 1998-1999 link sends me to this page (http://spillage.net/Public/98%20Dodg...Truck%20SM.pdf) which then states "This Webpage Is Not Available."

Does anyone else get that? Is it just my pc? I can download the 1996-1997 manual fine, but not the 1998-1999.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:26 PM
djbucky3
Captain

For reference, when i click that link, the manual comes up

Quick Reply: Warm Up Smoke