2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Strange Idle Issue... Even For My Truck :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 06:17 PM
brink5
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mopar. picked it up from the dealership. Yea, I've reset it many times.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Verify you are getting 12 volts on two of the terminals of the IAC connector, and the other two go to ground.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:37 PM
ReadRam
All Star

I had a dealership IAC fail after two years. Just stuck open one day. My guess is you would get a code and not a secret code either, If you had an internal short in the PCM.

Last edited by ReadRam; 11-20-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:40 AM
brink5
Rookie

The fact I didn't get the code on my scanner concerns me as well. However, it had been two days since I last hooked up to it, so I suppose it is possible it through a code during that time.

I did check voltage at connectors, and did have voltage two powers two grounds. The readings were spiking at 13/14v though, and they were constantly changing polarity the entire time.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

So the PCM, and wiring are good. They are doing what they are supposed to. That leaves the IAC..... it's either jammed up in the bore, or, it is simply a failed part. (and no, it doesn't matter that its new.....)

Old 11-24-2014, 05:39 PM
brink5
Rookie
Thumbs up

So for the conclusion to this thread...

Picked my truck up from the mechanic Friday night. I made the decision I would try messing with it some more before buying a new computer and installing it.

I went and bought a new IAC...cheapest one I could find was a masterpro from oreilly's for $27. I wasn't going to go drop another $100 at the dealership for one like I had just done last year.

I checked continuity from the iac connector to the plug on the computer, and all checked out okay. I pulled the connector from the computer and clean the pcm and connector with some electronic cleaner and compressed air. I also bent down a small tab on the connector to the IAC, just to make sure it was making contact with the iac pins. Stuck the new iac in, and she fired right up.

I'm tempted to go install one of the other two iac valves in to see if the problem comes back, just to see if cleaning the computer and connectors fixed it, or if I had two bad iac's, but it's been really cold here, and I'm just happy it's working again. If I had to guess, I think it probably was yet another bad iac valve.

We'll see how long this $27 masterpro lasts. If it makes it longer then 18 month's it will have beaten out the dealership crap from dodge, and at a third of the cost. end rant

Thanks for everyone's input on this. It helped out a lot.

Quick Reply: Strange Idle Issue... Even For My Truck :)