2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Kawlyn
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump Replacement

Pretty sure my water pump just went out. In a big way. 97 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L V8.

Is this something a fairly novice (biggest repair I've done is ball joints) repair? Or should I leave it to the experts?

Also it failed really bad about 3 miles from my house. Will I need to have it towed to the location it will be worked on?

Thanks for your help in advance. I bet HeyYou is going to get in on this action. Haha.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dont drive it and overheat thats for sure.

How exactly did it fail? anything explode and spray coolant everywhere?

If youve done ball joints the water pump should be a breeze. All you do is take the front accessory bracket off and its right there.

I would suggest replacing the bypass hose and thermostat while you are there. They are both cheap.

Also, i would highly recommend going ahead and replacing the timing chain while you are there. Its only one more layer. The harmonic balancer and the timing chain cover. A good double roller can normally be bought at local auto parts for 50ish bucks.

Water pump was one of the first things i did to my truck and its stilll on the road lol.

If nothing overheated, or exploded, and the 3 miles isnt highway or interstate, i would ease the truck back home. just make sure it doesnt overheat.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:39 PM
Kawlyn
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't say it exploded and sent coolant everywhere.

As soon as I pulled into the parking lot, I thought I heard something strange happen and I parked and turned the truck off immediately.

Popped the hood and looked under and it was dripping/ steadyish flow of water/coolant.

I turned it on real quick (probably 15 seconds) to check it. And I heard the grinding noise which I'm assuming is the bearing for the water pump.

Turned it off and now I'm here at my favorite community.

I plan on loading it up with water and trying to make it back the 3 miles. It's all city roads with not too much stopping.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Don't drive it. If the bearings are grinding, they are preparing to let loose, and a sub-100 dollar repair becomes a several hundred dollar repair. A tow is cheaper.....

Better safe, than Sorry......

Old 11-22-2014, 03:56 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah i dont think i would risk it if there are loud angry grinding sounds.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:09 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

+3 - don't drive it! If its grinding, that water pump could come apart and impale itself into the radiator, fan blades and all.

Quick Reply: Water Pump Replacement