2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Old school

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 09:39 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

James,
Got any pictures of this stuff? Would love to see what it looks like.

I was a 19K also......................................... Screamn' Eagle was never stationed there. Went to the sand box in 04 and then got shot in the leg.

Old 12-15-2014, 02:58 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say efi also, only con to it is like mentioned before the trail repairs, but if done right you shouldnt need to repair on the trail like you would with a carb :P and also its good to see many military members, i did 3 deployments myself before getting out, ever do any events for wounded warrior?

Old 12-16-2014, 04:44 AM
james101abn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6 pack efi

new hood setup im looking at to sit down over the 6 pack air filter..

Wildman that is awesome I was there in 03-04 as well and a few others.. ryan I have only done a couple of events with wwp.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:10 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

James,
I have been looking at that setup before. Did you pick it up used or new? Is that for your 440 or 360? It looks like the 360 setup I have seen. Here is a link to F&B Throttle Bodies they are the company I saw that might have made it.

I was at Anaconda from Apr-Oct 04.

Ryan, I have been out twice with WWP. For some reason they don't do a lot out here on the west coast and they seen to have lost my email again.

Last edited by Wildman4x4nut; 12-16-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:36 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

Awesome , i would love to go wheel for the wounded, but same thing they dont seem to do much around here, and the times they do its like i always miss it.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:09 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Op I look forward to hearing your op's on that 6pac setup.

Originally Posted by ryan0714
i would say efi also, only con to it is like mentioned before the trail repairs, but if done right you shouldnt need to repair on the trail like you would with a carb :P and also its good to see many military members, i did 3 deployments myself before getting out, ever do any events for wounded warrior?
Done right?? Neither system is infallible.

Things one would have to carry with them to service an efi/mpi system.

CKPS, Cam sensor, PCM, Fuel pump, 8 injectors anyone of these parts can fail without notice none whatsoever. If you have an aftermarket pcm you might want to take your laptop with you as well.

Tools needed to diag scanner of some flavor.

Cost of said parts to carry.
ckps $80
cam sensor $65
pcm $400
fuel pump $300
8 injectors $100-$300
replacement fuel lines ????

Approx $950 thats a lot of cash to have banging around in the back of your truck.
ease to repair easy to hard after you figure it out.

Carb parts to carry

Carb rebuild kit about $15
fuel pump $20-$100
bits of rubber hose $10

I'll go on the high side and say $200
Ease to repair 1

Old 12-16-2014, 06:36 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

didnt say neither couldnt fail merc, just the efi "should" not fail as soon or quick as a carb cloggin up is all. so its cheaper but repair more often vs. higher cost and repair less in my opinion.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:05 PM
merc225hp
Champion

How often do you think carbs mess up and need adjusting/cleaning? Keep the fuel clean going to it and a clean air filter on it and they don't need much messing with. Carbs are still in use today in the marine field and many more area's, I sure don't want a efi/mpi marine motor unless I have a spare parts list like above with me at all times.

Moving on.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Done right?? Neither system is infallible.

Things one would have to carry with them to service an efi/mpi system.

CKPS, Cam sensor, PCM, Fuel pump, 8 injectors anyone of these parts can fail without notice none whatsoever. If you have an aftermarket pcm you might want to take your laptop with you as well.

Tools needed to diag scanner of some flavor.

Cost of said parts to carry.
ckps $80
cam sensor $65
pcm $400
fuel pump $300
8 injectors $100-$300
replacement fuel lines ????

Approx $950 thats a lot of cash to have banging around in the back of your truck.
ease to repair easy to hard after you figure it out.

Carb parts to carry

Carb rebuild kit about $15
fuel pump $20-$100
bits of rubber hose $10

I'll go on the high side and say $200
Ease to repair 1
Merc,
You know as well as I do that you don't have to carry all those parts with you. If you have done proper maintenance on your vehicle the likelihood of half that stuff failing is questionable. If you're really worried about it 2-3 injectors, spare pcm? And I can buy them used for $125. Crank sensor sure, cam sensor? Fuel Lines? Maybe some high pressure hose and 6 hose clamps. Now for a fuel pump? How you going to change it on the trail?

Stuff happens to both systems now and then and you just have to come home on the other end of a push strap. But I have had these carbs that are suppose to run off-road and they do better than a stock carb. I know all the tricks too but I'll take FI any day over a carb. If your idea of off-roading is driving down and easy trail then yes a carb will work, but if it is rock crawling or the like then you'd better have fuel injection.
This debate can go on until all of us are to old to type and we all will never agree. As long as you are doing what you want to your rig then GO for IT!!

Old 12-17-2014, 01:05 PM
merc225hp
Champion

ckps trigger; sensor works in combination with the cam sensor. Yes I have a spare
cam sensor; triggers the injectors so yes part of the fuel system, I have a spare.
pcm; receives input signals and sends signals out this is needed to run the fuel system and the truck, yes I have a spare.
fuel pump; simple, yes I have a spare.
8 injectors, I do not have spares of these.
replacement fuel lines, I do not have the main line.

I forgot to add TPS, Map, IAC these can also bring it down and yes I have spares of these as well.

I can bash new tech very easy, just on time spent in the shop and how much easier the old tech is to work on. All those trails that are how old they were ran with carbed rigs right and it was done.

Has efi/mpi made advancements/things more possible in the off road world, marine world hell yeah. I don't think a carbed motor will run upside down (sans oiling issues lol).

Setting carbs, jetting carbs, figuring out timing curves, setting valve lash "tinkering" I love to do, efi/mpi is boring lol.

I am done lol.

Quick Reply: Old school