2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Old school

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 03:23 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to answer your question yes efi did help make advances on the trail, there is a reason new trails, and climbs are being made next to the old ones. seen it to many times where a carb chokes out.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:32 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess you missed reading this in my post.

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Has efi/mpi made advancements/things more possible in the off road world, marine world hell yeah. I don't think a carbed motor will run upside down (sans oiling issues lol).

Old 12-17-2014, 10:41 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

no but you said those same trails were once ran with carbed engines, and i said that there is a reason there is newer trails and climbs being cut in, that carbed engine just couldnt pull off.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:46 AM
aofarrell2
Champion

For those of you with problems using SCT tunes on big cams...

First off, not all tunes are equal. Duh.

Second off, you need a different MAP sensor. DUH number 2.

Third off, the computer has to be tuned very differently than just some standard tune to take advantage of the new MAP sensor. DUH number 3.

Fourth off, there are carbs designed to run upside down. DUH number 4. They are called 'floatless' carbs. They are available for vehicles. Not that hard to find them. But who needs to run their truck upside down, seriously.

Number 5 is simply my opinion. I'd rather get a factory big block and swap it than stroking a 360. I quote long-term reliability with thinner cylinder walls and more stress on the block from the larger throw. Big blocks are tough as hell and will outlast any stroker of the same CID.

Carb's are simple and they work.

EFI is more complex. The factory PCMs were not really designed with tuning in mind. If you go EFI, I highly recommend the MS3.

I am happy with my carb setup. It starts every time, even when EFI won't. It gets decent fuel economy and excellent power. I can diagnose it in five minutes, and usually fix it in just a few more with only a handful of tools.

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
If you try doing a search you will find tons of threads about people asking "What does it take? And can you help me?"

First off if you have to ask then you shouldn't be trying it yourself.
Second is that as adobedude said you'd be way way better off if you rebuilt your 360 or stroked it to a 408. What is the expected HP of your 440 you have?

IMHO taking a EFI vehicle and making it a carb vehicle is just plain foolish.
Oh geez Wildman. That's dumb. People come here and ASK because they want to LEARN. If everyone listened to that statement of yours this forum would no longer exist because no one would be asking questions... DUH number six!

As far as taking a EFI vehicle and converting it to carb, maybe it's dumb. But it works. Maybe for you it's dumb and not practical. But for many it is. So don't just call it 'dumb' because of your opinion. There's a lot of people who are converting to carb everday. You simply don't hear about them because of people like you on these forums...

I'm out of here.

Old 12-18-2014, 03:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

People convert to carb for a variety of reasons.

1. It's cheaper to deal with than EFI.
2. There is less to go wrong than EFI.
3. Don't need a high pressure fuel system.
4. Easier to tune.
5. Maybe they just don't know enough about EFI, and aren't willing to learn.
6. And on, and on, and on.

I like EFI because:
1. It's more efficient than a carb.
2. I have found it to be more reliable than some carbs I have had to deal with.
3. For ME, EFI is actually EASIER to deal with.
4. tuning isn't all that much of an issue, as I haven't done anything to my truck to warrant it yet.
5. I don't want to have to deal with a choke, and cold start issues.

Sure, I have driven carbed vehicles. You can't be my age and NOT have driven them. Some were flawless, others, I think they were originally designed as ashtrays, and then ADAPTED for use as a carb. (yeah, I am looking at YOU Solex.)

Although, I think my personal favorite fuel injection system was the K-Jetronic used on late 70s', early 80's Rabbits, and Sciroccos. Just making the change from the piece of crap carb, to the FI made a WORLD of difference in how the engine ran, responded, and developed power. If I had a machine shop, I would be sorely tempted to try and re-create a V-8 version of that for my truck. It. Just. Worked. Of course, that was purely mechanical, and the only electronic part in the whole system was the fuel pump. (ok, and the cold start injector.) Simple, efficient, NEVER failed. Car would always start, even in the worst weather, and I got decent fuel mileage as well. Easy as a carb, with all the benefits of FI. Perfect.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:20 PM
grindman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate fuel injection when something goes wrong. which by the way is all the freakin' time. give me a carb. any day of the week. and while you're at it points and condensor too

Old 12-18-2014, 05:27 PM
grindman

everybody knows that the longest and best running engine was the old 225 slant six. that's also the toughest engine mopar ever came out with

Old 12-18-2014, 05:49 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many times is this going to be beat to death?

Carbs and EFI. Each has there benefits and draw backs. Just like everything else under the Sun.

This thread should be closed.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:35 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 154 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by aofarrell2
Oh geez Wildman. That's dumb. People come here and ASK because they want to LEARN. If everyone listened to that statement of yours this forum would no longer exist because no one would be asking questions... DUH number six!

As far as taking a EFI vehicle and converting it to carb, maybe it's dumb. But it works. Maybe for you it's dumb and not practical. But for many it is. So don't just call it 'dumb' because of your opinion. There's a lot of people who are converting to carb everday. You simply don't hear about them because of people like you on these forums...

I'm out of here.
I never said anyone was dumb!! I said foolish and I stand by that. And my statement about if you have to ask you shouldn't be trying it yourself was about things like:
1) Where do the motor mounts go?
2) How long will my rear driveline be?
3) What size radiator do I need?

These are questions someone doing a swap should be able to find out on their own. Part is thru trying to fit the engine in the frame and then unless there is a spot that the MM are keyed into and you are 100% sure the engine will end up in the same spot every time. Until then I wouldn't feel comfortable telling you driveline length.

A fuel injection system will always be more fuel efficient than a carb.
We can chase our tails around all week and never agree so let's just leave it at that? And I'm not sure any of your 1 duh 2 duh 3 duh answers are going to help.
I was under the impression that a 2 Bar MAP sensor was for forced induction?

And why does stroking a engine make the cylinder walls thinner? I really want to understand that one. I know it lengthens the throw of crank but I always thought that was all a stroker kit did. Now if your engine needs it's cylinder honed then you might go down .030 thickness. But that would be the only time cylinder walls would be thinner.

The rest of your rambling I'll just leave it as that.....................................

Last edited by Wildman4x4nut; 12-19-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:09 AM
james101abn

So because everyone wanted to argue with what I should put in my truck... I opted for a 408 stroker kit for my 5.9 360 and a supercharger. Then I found a decent 01 4 speed trans to hook it to. Overall its not a 440 but it does fine.. and I have a fuel injected 440 beast to put into whatever I might find... maybe a nice cuda or challenger is out there waiting for me.

Quick Reply: Old school