2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

p0720 Code

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Tryntofix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default p0720 Code

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT extended cab pickup with a 5.9L that has a p0720 code. I replaced the output speed sensor a few months back but now the code is back. Do you think the new sensor has gone bad already? Are there 2 sensors on the transmission? Where would the other one be? Do I need to replace the one on the rear diff?

Thanks

Old 12-22-2014, 02:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,959 Posts

Only one speed sensor on the trans for you.

If the sensor is still under warranty, try swapping it out.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:42 PM
onegoodmason
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you clear the PCM when you did it ? Just want to make sure it's not just a stored code . If you did not , just disconnect the battery for 20-30 minutes and it's done . If the CEL reappears , maybe you did get a bum sensor . Brand ?

Only 2 sensors on the trans , nothing on the diff . 1 is the trans output sensor which feeds the speedo , the other is the trans speed sensor which feeds the PCM . Assuming you are 2wd , the sensor for that code is the farthest towards the rear of the two . I believe that's the one you replaced already .
The second sensor will be approx 7-8" back from the trans basepan and have 2 wires coming from it (red/green IIRC) . It will be more on the bottom/side . That's a magnetic pick up sensor . They do get dirty . Just be prepared for some oil if you remove it to clean .

Quick Reply: p0720 Code