2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2wd 96 Ram 2500, Somethings bent up front

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 03:06 AM
vfr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2wd 96 Ram 2500, Somethings bent up front

Hi Guys, Quick rundown of the situation, would be grateful for some direction. I just bought a 96 2wd Ram 2500 V10. Very clean, straight truck but isn't running (fuel pump). Now I didn't pay very much for the truck but after trailering the truck to a heated shop to do the pump repair, noticed that something is amiss with the front end.
The front wheels are towed out at the front and visibly cambered in at the top. Front looks overly squat. There was mud caked on top of frame crossbrace that leads me to believe the front end was bottomed out, or high centered. My feeling is that the truck either quit somewhere (fuel pump) or was high centered/got stuck somewhere and was towed/puled out by another truck. I'm thinking something got bent in that process.

Just wondering if anyone has come across a situation/problem like this and what direction I should look first. The truck could be really good, don't really want to part out unless I have to. I'm going to be spending all weekend on the truck and will figure it out somehow, but would really appreciate whatever input you guys have.

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2015, 10:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Put a jack under it, and check ALL the front end parts for wear. Could be just some sloppy suspension parts.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:21 AM
vfr

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Put a jack under it, and check ALL the front end parts for wear. Could be just some sloppy suspension parts.
Thanks, I will do that first thing for sure, the only thing that makes me think this is a more recent and sudden issue is that the front tires are worn, but worn even and not scrubbed badly on the insides like they would if driven with the front like this. But i'm sure there are worn parts in there too.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:46 PM
vfr

Found the issue... Its not good. The front suspension has been heavily bottomed out. Bending and tearing the upper control arm and shock mounts away from the frame and probably bending the lower control arm/suspension crossmember as well. There is probably some damage to the frame rails too.

Its a shame because the rest of the truck is really nice and I think I will now have to part it out.

Engine runs perfect and tranny feels good too. Hate seeing good equipment destroyed like this.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Oh man, that sucks. Although...... sounds like a good candidate for a 4x4 conversion.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 PM
vfr

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Oh man, that sucks. Although...... sounds like a good candidate for a 4x4 conversion.
you can convert these things to 4x4!?

Old 01-29-2015, 01:33 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you weld?

Shock towers, control arm brackets. And the track bar Mount. And you can slide a front axle under it. Of course you need a t case and a different trans.

There's a thread round here somewhere. Peatea? Or something like that. He did it.

Quick Reply: 2wd 96 Ram 2500, Somethings bent up front