2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 10:37 AM
lwalper
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, thanks for that manual. Sounds like I'll pull it out of the truck to work on it.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:51 AM
getdown78
Veteran

Check the double u-joint on the front driveshaft ! Last yr the vacuum line cracked which had the front axle locked in and it wore the double joint out and then tore the t-case in half ! That 5 cent line cost me about $500 in parts alone !

Old 11-23-2015, 01:17 AM
lwalper

I'll be sure to check that out while I've got it apart.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:26 AM
lwalper
Unhappy

Pulled the transfer case and found another problem . Think I found a job for JB Weld -- broken transmission case. Four of the tabs are still OEM and JB Weld is probably stronger than the cast aluminum case, and there are nice long splits to glue, so ...

After dropping the TF case I ran the engine up to about 4k revs with the transmission engaged in D -- no vibration now, so problem is obviously in the TF case.

Haven't gotten into the transfer case yet. Need to get proper split ring pliers.

Attached Thumbnails New Vibration-tranny-case-bits.jpg   New Vibration-tranny-case.jpg  

Last edited by lwalper; 11-27-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:18 AM
lwalper

So far so good. Have driven it a couple of hundred miles now and no vibration. The only problem after getting the driveline back together was a couple of rusted out brake lines on the drivers side where the lines come under the frame. Repaired those and it's back on the road. Pretty happy with the diff rebuild. Drive is quiet, coast sings a little, but not much. Can probably live with that. JB weld seems to be holding up on the tranny case.

Now, a question. The 4WD light is on when the TC is in 2H. When I pull it back into 4H the light goes off. Have I got the linkage installed wrong? Everything seems to work OK except for that.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Probably just have the vacuum lines hooked up backwards. Easy to check. Just pull the connector off the CAD (on the front axle), and see which port has vacuum when the t-case is in 2 Hi. That line goes to the outboard port on the cad.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:41 PM
lwalper

OK, thanks. I'll check that. I didn't actually go that far forward on pulling lines, but you're probably correct. That big plug of vacuum lines may not be plugged in the correct direction.

Quick Reply: New Vibration