2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shudder under load in lockup

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 06:06 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered the Davis Unified Ignition - Firepower kit today(coil, cap, rotor, wires). It was $245 shipped. Will report whether or not it stops the shudder when I have tested it.

Last edited by beeker; 02-26-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:16 PM
beeker
Captain

I have good news, finally figured out the problem - shudder under load in lockup - and it is finally cured.
The Davis Firepower kit(coil, cap, rotor, 10mm wires) did not make any difference but it looks nice and high temp shielding keeps the wires from getting cooked from my headers.

Next I adjusted the slight lean of my fuel injector rail, thought maybe the angle could cause the pencil stream to not hit the back of the valve in the right spot and not properly vaporize the fuel. Adjusted it but the shudder is still present.

My next step was to send my injectors for testing but instead of paying big money on the OE single hole pencil stream injectors, I decided to put that money into an injector upgrade.
I got a used set of Bosch 4 hole - 22lb injectors(0280155784) from Ebay for $41.
Sent them to my local injector shop for testing and cleaning, Dr Injector of Federal Way, WA. Expensive but they do great work and I've used them 3 times now. That cost me $240, and these used injectors needed it. Flow and patterns of 4 injectors were diminished. They got them cleaned up, flow and patterns were restored. He said these injectors are very good and last forever.

Got them installed Saturday, Reset PCM, went for a drive and felt a little rough but the PCM needs time to learn, did not feel a shudder though. So today drove the truck more and the PCM is still learning, I know because the IAC is still dropping idle too much at a stop. Drove it more and PCM finally dialed in and felt smooth, and still haven't felt the shudder in lockup!
I believe this issue is resolved!

My assumption is that the stock injectors are not a good match for the EQ 2.02 Monster Magnum heads. Could be that the valves are shaped slightly different and don't properly deflect and atomize the pencil stream, but I don't know.

A special thanks to member Spillage for posting info on these injectors, thanks bro.
And of course a big thanks to Heyyou for your guidance on this one, really appreciate your help.

Last edited by beeker; 03-16-2015 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:48 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Glad you got it resolved! When you get a chance post back and let us know if you see any improvement in performance with the new injectors.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:11 PM
beeker
Captain

Originally Posted by Moparite
Glad you got it resolved! When you get a chance post back and let us know if you see any improvement in performance with the new injectors.
So far my mpg in the overhead computer has climbed a couple decimal points and that's with my foot in it on the hills and straightaways to test if shudder returns. Can't say I notice any performance gain from the injectors other than there's no shudder and mileage is on the rise. I'll know more when I've run a few tanks through it.

Quick Reply: Shudder under load in lockup