2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 ram project

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:24 AM
CrocDocs Garage
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 ram project

So Ive had this truck for about a year now and it really turnin me I to a sode truck guy, it just fits me lol. It is a 1500 with 2500HD suspension and axles so there dana 60s. It's on 35in cooper m/t and I sprayed a red to black fade on it. Still have to do the hood lol. But since I got it the passgenger side front axle se has been leakin and when I got the truck there was no fluid in the front diff.. I put some in and kept added Untill the 4x4 poped out and bent the vaccume actuator. I put a new one on it and it did the same thing. I left it alone for about 6 months. Finally I figured I could do the trail fix and flip the shift fork around so the front axle is always engaged, an that's how I ran it for awhile until I decied to rebuild the axle which is were its at now. I needed new ball joints, wheel bearings, brakes, inner axle, intermediate bearing, bushing and seals. I replaced driver seal, pinion seal, and beating, but I have ruined two seals trying to get the oassendger side seal in and have come to the conclusion I need the seal driver tool, and was wondering the best place to get it. It has 1998 dana 60 axles under it

Old 03-29-2015, 10:51 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

You can get a seal driver kit from just about anywhere. You can probably rent one from an auto parts store if you don't want to buy one. Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:11 AM
CrocDocs Garage

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You can get a seal driver kit from just about anywhere. You can probably rent one from an auto parts store if you don't want to buy one. Welcome to the forum.
Thanks, and I tried my auto parts sore but they don't have one that will work properly I've seen one online for around $60 but wasn't sure if they had a cheaper.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:55 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 349 Likes on 329 Posts

I just seen someone do this same thing on another forum. They made up a piece of wood the same size as the seal(hole saw) and used a piece of threaded rod long enough to reach the end. Use some flat stock with a hole for the rod and tighten the nut. Use some backyard engineering or find-rent/buy the tool.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:59 PM
CrocDocs Garage

Originally Posted by Moparite
I just seen someone do this same thing on another forum. They made up a piece of wood the same size as the seal(hole saw) and used a piece of threaded rod long enough to reach the end. Use some flat stock with a hole for the rod and tighten the nut. Use some backyard engineering or find-rent/buy the tool.
I made a tool from pipe and washers welded to the back for the threaded rod and may end up having to fine fine tune it I will post a picture of it soon, it still didnt want to push the seal in straught. I will probably try one more seal before buying the tool.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:27 AM
csam
Amateur

I saw somewhere, a guy who used a chain link fence post top. The one that sits on top with the ring to hold the top rail. He ground off the ring, and it work perfectly to drive the seal.

Quick Reply: 2000 ram project