2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no brakes as in no stop&no illumination lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 03:34 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no brakes as in no stop&no illumination lights

99 cummins 2500 lately been feeling like they were in need of replacing em.However when I checked they had meat on em.Well lastnite I went on a ride into the city & first thing that happened was the dash illumination went out.My boost&egt gauge runs off of it also.I looked&fuse was blown so I replaced &it worked for around a minute then blew again . I've never had this problem before.Well then about 20 mons later I turn the truck off for about 1 min start her back up & the abs light came on & then the brake light & as I went to slow down the brake pedal went all the way to the floor.Pulled over no leaking brake fluid that I could see.Had no choice but to drive it home 60 miles.I could barley use the back brakes .
want ideas what could be going on &Where to start? Brake pads are worn but there enough to stop it.Were about to go out of town so need to fix asap

BTW probably worth mentioning last week I came to a intersection & a car ran a light I had to spam on brakes it said error & felt like it locked up&I came to a screeching halt.

Last edited by cutthroatxxx; 03-29-2015 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

You popped a line somewhere. The leak may or may not show up right away. Have someone else pump the pedal, while you look for evidence.

Check the wiring for your gauges. Something may have rubbed thru somewhere.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:57 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

there's no bad spots in the brake lines the reservoir is full, u can't really pump the brakes every time they go straight to the floor & that's about it.They barley come back up

Old 03-29-2015, 01:27 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

I went to slow down the brake pedal went all the way to the floor.Pulled over no leaking brake fluid that I could see.
Well i just replied to this same question on DT. I see both forums some of the same members. If you are sure there is no blown lines i would suspect the master cylinder(internal leak).

Old 03-29-2015, 03:51 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

well I know I'm gonna get slammed for this but it is what it is.I didn't notice this@ all before hand.Keep in mind I bought this truck & took my buddy with me to look it over as I can't crawl around to good on the ground due to health but anyways.
I went outside&did the front drivers inner side of tire was wet.Well 1 of my Pitt bulls likes to wiz on my tires so didn't wanna touch or smell, I looked inside the wheel housing which now has Mr wearing my neck brace&Ill be in agony for a week..rant sorry.Well this is what I saw.
Name:  20150329_135940.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  494.8 KB that's again the driver side
now here's the passengers side.
Name:  20150329_135956.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  147.9 KB
not near as bad but still bad.So my first question is how could driver side got that bad? Next what should I do to repair it besides changing the rotors? I mean I have a basic idea but this looks like it may be a little bit more than usual.

Last edited by cutthroatxxx; 03-29-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:52 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Originally Posted by Moparite
Well i just replied to this same question on DT. I see both forums some of the same members. If you are sure there is no blown lines i would suspect the master cylinder(internal leak).
Yeah I'm like the popular girls around the 9th graders cut I get around.lol

Old 03-29-2015, 04:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Wonder if you popped a caliper piston.....

Old 03-30-2015, 11:54 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Yeah I'm like the popular girls around the 9th graders cut I get around.lol
Well i'm here to so i guess i get around also. LOL! I'll post my answer here also. The caliper is sticking. They move on rods and need to be greased so this don't happen. I have seen worse!

Quick Reply: no brakes as in no stop&no illumination lights