2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4x4 issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 09:41 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 issues

OK so I recently made a post about a squeaking noise coming from what I thought was the bearing in front of transfer case where drive shift connects, I believe it's called the front shift input bearing. Well anyways I'm now leaning towards it being the front drivesshaft.
So here is the new issue.I put a posi lok/4x4 actuator in the truck.Well yesterday & today I had to use the 4x4.I got in a ditch & when I got in 4x4 I hurried up&went back to 2x4 real fast as the transfer case started vibrating very hard. I then test drove it some. While on pavement it didn't seem to have that jetting feeling like when you usually get on pavement. I checked that the drivesshaft was locked &it was.I try to hold the brakes&see of fronts would spin but couldn't make it out.
Next I noticed Even with foot off the gas the truck still pulls forward. NOW here's what I need to know..first could it be that the tcase was locked but I didn't get the axles engaged via position lok? Also could I have broke something in the axle&lastly could it have shook because that drivesshaft it crap? I have a spare I'm gonna put in.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

It's possible, sometimes, ya gotta move a little bit, while applying pressure on the posi-lok to get the front axle to engage completely.

Put it up on jackstands, jack up the front, put it in 4wd, and engage the front axle. See if you can turn anything. (by HAND) Keep in mind, with an open differential in front, spin one tire one way, the other tire should spin the other way, and the driveshaft should not spin at all.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:50 PM
2damnyankee
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure your posi loc isn't turned out or you will be still engaging the axle, counter clockwise will engage, and clockwise will disengage. I Push the red button in and push fully then turn clockwise to make sure the *** is fully rested against the bracket. that should disengage the front rear. Make sure the plastic covering on the cable isn't melted anywhere, where the plastic could have melted thru the steel liner.

Quick Reply: 4x4 issues