2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Pan Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 01:33 PM
papa_smurf73
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Removal

Hi there. I have a 97 dodge ram 4x4 2nd gen. It was previously used as a salt truck. The oil pan has rusted through, and leaks a significant amount of oil. I've purchased a new pan, and started the process to remove the old one. I had great success getting all bolts removed around the pan and flywheel inspection plate; however, I cannot get the damn starter off. The oil pan has a decent lip that extends past the flywheel inspection plate. So the plate must be removed... So far, I've tried the following:

Removed a nut from a stud going into the tranny bell-housing securing the front of the starter, and removed a bolt from behind the starter.

Once removed, I attempted to use both hands around the starter, and pulled towards the engine block. It's completely stuck.

Next, I tried to take a piece of wood, and a hammer and tap around the starter going towards the engine. Still did not budge...

I've used a torch to try to loosen it...

I've used penetrating oil...

Recently I tried to back out the stud from the tranny bell-housing. I couldn't get that to come out. Not enough threading... Though I might try this approach again..

I've tried to bump the starter, turning the key in the cab of the truck for a second or two.

I'm at a complete loss. I'm considering cutting the inspection plate, but I'd prefer not to.

Any other suggestions? I'd greatly appreciate your feedback all.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Two bolts for the starter. One on top, one on the bottom. It's probably just rusted in place. Chems, and gently tapping with a hammer, and patience are going to be required.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:53 PM
jrox44
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spray with PB blaster every hour. And let it soak for a day then try. Patience is the key like Hey you said. Don't be forceful. Keep trying . Lots of PB Blaster

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Removal