2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wont start after filter change

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 10:27 AM
groenberg
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Feels like it, but the only line i know there is a possibility that it's a leak is the return fuel line, and that shouldn't even matter right? It might be the filter but as far as i know, it's sealed good. I changed all the sealings (spelling?) when i changed filter.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Might wanna recheck those seals. One may have slipped out of place on assembly.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:39 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm not familiar with this exact system. I'm assuming, when you push the primer button, that an electric pump primes the system. Do you hear the pump running when you push the button? Is it actually pumping air out the bleeder? If so the leak is between the pump and the fuel tank. The return line isn't a concern until we fix this problem. I like to start with the simple things. Is there fuel in the tank (possible bad sending unit or gauge)? If it ran before the filter change, my guess is the leak is at the filter. I would take the filter off and try a new one. Make sure you put oil or a light coating of grease on the seals. After that inspect all the lines from the tank to the pump.

Old 02-08-2016, 05:39 AM
groenberg
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2bit
I'm not familiar with this exact system. I'm assuming, when you push the primer button, that an electric pump primes the system. Do you hear the pump running when you push the button? Is it actually pumping air out the bleeder? If so the leak is between the pump and the fuel tank. The return line isn't a concern until we fix this problem. I like to start with the simple things. Is there fuel in the tank (possible bad sending unit or gauge)? If it ran before the filter change, my guess is the leak is at the filter. I would take the filter off and try a new one. Make sure you put oil or a light coating of grease on the seals. After that inspect all the lines from the tank to the pump.
No it is a manual primer button, looks sort of like this.

I don't know if air is coming out of the bleeder, but when i press the button you can both feel and hear that it is only air in the primer/lift pump. There is 3/4 diesel in the tank and yes it worked before i changed filter. Guess i'll have to take the filter out again and see.

Last edited by groenberg; 02-08-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:34 AM
groenberg
Rookie

So i took out the filter and it looks good, on the picture you see 2/3 seals that is on the filter that i also changed. The last seal is in the filter housing. But if it only is air in the primer, doesn't that mean that the liftpump is not getting fuel? Or am i way off now?

Old 02-08-2016, 01:22 PM
groenberg
Rookie

So i googled as h*ll on this issue and it seems like i have a broken lift pump. Apparently the 2nd gen engines will run although the LP is bad which means the injector pump is sucking fuel all the way from the tank which eventually kills the injector pump.

I've found new pumps on ebay for about $35, but everybody seems so talk about other pumps, such as FASS etc for like $200? I'm thinking about bying the one for $35 since i'm a little low on cash and if it has worked before, it should work for now.

Old 02-08-2016, 02:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, the stock pumps aren't the best, but, they work.... For a while anyway. The FASS pumps are well liked, and reliable, albeit, a tad bit more expensive.

can you disconnect the incoming fuel line from the lift pump, and apply power to it? See if fuel comes out?

Old 02-08-2016, 02:52 PM
groenberg
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, the stock pumps aren't the best, but, they work.... For a while anyway. The FASS pumps are well liked, and reliable, albeit, a tad bit more expensive.

can you disconnect the incoming fuel line from the lift pump, and apply power to it? See if fuel comes out?
Hm, only about 8 times the price Haha think i'll go with an original one for now..

Incoming line, you mean incoming to the filter? In that case i should just be able to open up the bleedscrew on the return fuel line since they are connected at the top of the filter?

The only thing i find wierd is that even though the LP is broken, i should be able to manually prime the system, right? Is there a check valve in the pump that may be broken?

Old 02-08-2016, 03:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Entirely possible. Try priming with the bleed valve closed. See if that makes any difference.

Don't run it without the lift pump for long though, (provided you get it to start) that'll smoke the injection pump in fairly short order... and those most certainly are NOT cheap.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:56 PM
groenberg
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Entirely possible. Try priming with the bleed valve closed. See if that makes any difference.

Don't run it without the lift pump for long though, (provided you get it to start) that'll smoke the injection pump in fairly short order... and those most certainly are NOT cheap.
For how long should you have to prime for it to start delivering fuel? I'm thinking, the sending unit in the tank (i'm assuming i have one), that means that when i'm priming, it has to suck the fuel through the sending unit as well?

Anyway, now i've ordered a lift pump. I really hope this will fix my problem since i read it is not the easiest to change either ..

Quick Reply: Wont start after filter change