2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Still no dome light

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 07:43 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Aaron R.
Maybe I did not explain myself very well. Either that, or you are ignorant and think way too highly of your own ability to diagnose my truck from hundreds of miles away.
The behavior of electrons is not among the many, many things of which I am ignorant.

Originally Posted by Aaron R.
The dome lamp ground IS affected by the door lock fuse.
If you close the doors and switch the dome lamp off with the headlight switch, that circuit you're calling "dome lamp ground" is connected through everything in the dome lamp, overhead console map lamps, and door ajar circuits (which includes the Central Timer Module) to the positive terminal of the battery, while there is no ground at all being applied. Accordingly, that open circuit will be, must be, at battery voltage. Once you close one of those switches and current begins to flow, the voltage should then fall to very near zero. That's normal, as-designed operation, not a symptom of failure, and not power being "backfed" through a ground -- there's no ground there at all until you close one of those switches.

Since F13 is not supposed to be anywhere near that dome lamp/door ajar circuit, its presence or absence should have no effect upon that circuit. If someone's gone in there installing aftermarket goodies or attempting repairs by guess and by golly, all bets are off.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:28 AM
evilemokid94
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
The behavior of electrons is not among the many, many things of which I am ignorant.

If you close the doors and switch the dome lamp off with the headlight switch, that circuit you're calling "dome lamp ground" is connected through everything in the dome lamp, overhead console map lamps, and door ajar circuits (which includes the Central Timer Module) to the positive terminal of the battery, while there is no ground at all being applied. Accordingly, that open circuit will be, must be, at battery voltage. Once you close one of those switches and current begins to flow, the voltage should then fall to very near zero. That's normal, as-designed operation, not a symptom of failure, and not power being "backfed" through a ground -- there's no ground there at all until you close one of those switches.

Since F13 is not supposed to be anywhere near that dome lamp/door ajar circuit, its presence or absence should have no effect upon that circuit. If someone's gone in there installing aftermarket goodies or attempting repairs by guess and by golly, all bets are off.
how would I go about grounding the yellow headlight switch wire?

Old 04-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Aaron R.

"The behavior of electrons is not among the many, many things of which I am ignorant."

The tone of this post is not something we tolerate here. Hence, it has been removed.

Last edited by HeyYou; 04-07-2016 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Personal attacks.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

If pulling the power lock fuse interrupts the ground circuit for your dome light, then there is something wrong with the wiring in your truck. It really is that simple. The circuits, according to the wiring diagrams, are completely separate, there is no commonality there.

Old 04-07-2016, 02:16 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by evilemokid94
how would I go about grounding the yellow headlight switch wire?
Let's just start at the beginning... Do you have a multimeter or at least a test light handy?

Does your chime sound if you insert the ignition key fully and then open the driver door? And does the halo lamp around the ignition switch illuminate as it should?

To start troubleshooting with a test light: First, ground the alligator clip end, and probe the lamp socket pins with the doors closed. One of them should illuminate the test lamp. Then remove the alligator clip end from ground, connect it to the battery positive terminal one way or another, and probe the other lamp socket terminal -- the test lamp should come on and go off when you open and close each door, and with the doors closed, when you turn on/off the dome lamp via the headlight switch.

Which one of those doesn't happen?

The cabling is a PITA to get at, but it's a simple circuit and we can at least determine where, generally, the fault lies pretty quickly. Tell us about the door dinger, halo lamp, and the dome lamp socket tests and we can go from there.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:38 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

know anyone with a full function scan tool? all these inputs can be verified in seconds with a scan tool.

if you want to grd the yellow wire...access the connector at the headlamp switch and use a jumper wire to grd

Old 04-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Does your key light(ignition switch) light up when you open the door?

Old 04-14-2016, 04:25 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

BTW, I love the hand written diagram

Also, I love electrons in my corn flakes.

Last edited by TNtech; 04-14-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:17 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Confusin' Fusin'?

I wonder if someone is confusing F12 with F13. F12 is for the dome light and f13 is for the door locks. Your wiring may have been messed with, as others who are trying to help are saying. Play nice!

Old 04-20-2016, 07:28 PM
evilemokid94
Professional

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Let's just start at the beginning... Do you have a multimeter or at least a test light handy?

Does your chime sound if you insert the ignition key fully and then open the driver door? And does the halo lamp around the ignition switch illuminate as it should?

To start troubleshooting with a test light: First, ground the alligator clip end, and probe the lamp socket pins with the doors closed. One of them should illuminate the test lamp. Then remove the alligator clip end from ground, connect it to the battery positive terminal one way or another, and probe the other lamp socket terminal -- the test lamp should come on and go off when you open and close each door, and with the doors closed, when you turn on/off the dome lamp via the headlight switch.

Which one of those doesn't happen?

The cabling is a PITA to get at, but it's a simple circuit and we can at least determine where, generally, the fault lies pretty quickly. Tell us about the door dinger, halo lamp, and the dome lamp socket tests and we can go from there.
alright I can work with this. My buzzer does work for both headlights and key in ignition, the key light ring does light up as well as every other light in the truck. When I used a test light on the dome light connector I do get the test light to light up on one side

Quick Reply: Still no dome light