2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help: identify Brake Line placement

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 03:33 PM
not2techie
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help: identify Brake Line placement

I have had this truck for only a few months. I don't know if this is a previous owner modification, or if it comes this way from the factory.

This rubber brake line fell down from atop the rear axle. It appears the bracket that holds it in place rusted, causing it to fall. I can't find a schematic, or anything in my Haynes to tell me if it is supposed to be attached to something on both ends.

(have photo to upload here, but having issues with upload, give me a moment to edit please)

And the photo I have to upload here, shows where the rubber hose is attached to some type of small junction box, which has 2 metal brake lines on each side, the rubber hose on top.

And the final photo shows the other end of the rubber hose, what I think is just a plug? This is the end I want to know if it is supposed to be attached to maybe the speed sensor?? Or something else? Does it come from the factory with a plug?

2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L Gas engine

Red arrow shows location of where the 3 brake lines are joined by a small box.

2nd photo: of the junction box

3rd photo: Plug or valve

Last edited by not2techie; 03-17-2016 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 03-17-2016, 03:51 PM
Nate_rs
Professional

Originally Posted by not2techie
I have had this truck for only a few months. I don't know if this is a previous owner modification, or if it comes this way from the factory.

This rubber brake line fell down from atop the rear axle. It appears the bracket that holds it in place rusted, causing it to fall. I can't find a schematic, or anything in my Haynes to tell me if it is supposed to be attached to something on both ends.

(have photo to upload here, but having issues with upload, give me a moment to edit please)

And the photo I have to upload here, shows where the rubber hose is attached to some type of small junction box, which has 2 metal brake lines on each side, the rubber hose on top.

And the final photo shows the other end of the rubber hose, what I think is just a plug? This is the end I want to know if it is supposed to be attached to maybe the speed sensor?? Or something else? Does it come from the factory with a plug?

2001 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L Gas engine

Red arrow shows location of where the 3 brake lines are joined by a small box.
It's just the axle vent. You can just ziptie it back up somewhere. Does it have the plastic breather on the end of it?

Edit: My bad, upon fully reading your post I see the plastic breather is still attached.

So yeah it's just the axle vent to help equalize the pressure when everything in the axle gets hot and expands. The plastic bit is to keep water out and allow the axle to breathe.

You can just ziptie it back up somewhere or maybe find another clip for it somewhere

But it's no big deal, your Dodge is fine

Last edited by Nate_rs; 03-17-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:00 PM
not2techie
Amateur

Nate: Thank you!!! That is a huge relief for me!

No wonder I could not find anything for it while searching for "brake lines"

Old 03-17-2016, 06:04 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The breather fitting holds the brake line manifold to the axle, but is not a part of it. It bolts through it. I can see why you thought it was part of the brake system.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:39 PM
not2techie
Amateur

Temporary re-route

Since the snow is now gone, I have been meaning to get this routed back up to it's original location. But, it seems to be doing fine.

Thank you for the help guys!

Old 06-28-2016, 02:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,210 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Originally Posted by not2techie

Temporary re-route

Since the snow is now gone, I have been meaning to get this routed back up to it's original location. But, it seems to be doing fine.

Thank you for the help guys!
Until you drive thru water. Then, the water cools the diff, the air inside contracts, and the vent tube sucks water.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:21 PM
not2techie
Amateur

Eh Gad! I really should have posted this update much sooner.
This routing just got moved up the priority list...to today!
Now let's hope I can figure out the electrical problem.

Thank you!

Quick Reply: Need Help: identify Brake Line placement