2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque Converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 04:34 AM
dodgeitramit1999
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will do, hopefully can help someone in the future, I couldn't find anything on it

Last edited by dodgeitramit1999; 04-30-2016 at 04:35 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-30-2016, 09:17 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

If the trans failed previously, installing the old converter really isn't a good idea. It is impossible to clean them out sufficiently, to ensure you aren't going to circulate that crap thru your current trans.... and quite possibly dramatically shorten its life......

Old 04-30-2016, 10:26 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

X2! If you or the shop has the old converter compare the two if it's not something that you/shop can figure out.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:47 PM
dodgeitramit1999

Hey guys, good mornin'!

The problem was that my 3rd/reverse servo pin was sheered off. Also my front o2 sensor was broken and not plugged in, causing the stalling issue. Other than the chunks of servo pin in my pan, there weren't many shavings. Everything inside the transmission looked like new inside. My auto teacher thought that the converter would be fine because the chunks would have to go through the filter to enter the system. Is this true?

Thanks for the replies guys!

Old 04-30-2016, 02:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

I am curious why the pin sheered in the first place.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:46 PM
dodgeitramit1999

I'm not sure either but from what I read about I remember people saying it was a pretty common issue due to high stress from the spring after a while. The truck was in pretty rough shape when I got it, the guy before me put too much fluid into the transmission and blew all the seals too. It was his wife's daily driver and she only drove it like two miles a day (Pathetic, I know right) truck's got 128k miles on it.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:34 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeitramit1999
the chunks would have to go through the filter to enter the system. Is this true?
Yes. The filter is the pump pickup point. If it doesn't get through the filter, it doesn't get into the pump, so it doesn't leave the pan.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:42 PM
dodgeitramit1999

Thanks

Old 05-23-2016, 06:04 PM
dodgeitramit1999

Alright guys,

It's been a couple days since I got my truck out of the shop and I want to finish up here so it can maybe help someone with the same problems I had. NEVER buy a torque converter from Torco. They sent me the wrong one and even though it has a one year warranty, the only guy you can talk to is this Indian dude named Johnny who don't speak English (very well.) He'll tell you it's impossible lol. Anyways, we put the old torque converter in and the truck fired right up. I hung my own custom exhaust in my driveway as well after many trips to NAPA :P .

Now from the beginning... I bought this truck a little over a year ago as a mechanic's special. The transmission would shift erratically with o/d on so I drove with it off. Even so it died when I stopped or put it in reverse. On a flat surface reverse would sometimes not even engage. One of the biggest things I have heard again and AGAIN is how Dodge trannies HATE the Universal ATF. Spend the extra 50-70 cents a qt for ATF +4. The guy before me didn't ever change his atf either. He overfilled it and blew every seal in the tranny and the trans cooler lines at the cooler were leaking. Only about 15 psi goes through this cooler at all times. So I thought I needed to rebuild my transmission. I dropped it and took it apart except, my clutches and steels looked brand new! I took it down to the bare case and everything literally looked like it was put in yesterday. Well, I replaced all the seals and electronics. I would highly recommend buying a new TC Lockup switch, solenoid, and transducer. Also pay close attention to the o/d housing. There is a snap ring known for breaking which holds all your clutches in. I also got a Transgo shift kit for it. I inspected the servos and found my 3rd/reverse servo pin was sheered off. I bought the new pin and cut off the stub at the end of it for diesels ( a modification necessary for the 46re) and put it in. After everything was all put together, bands were adjusted according to spec, and the correct torque converter was in, it now drives like a brand new truck. 6 months of bustin my a** on this thing has finally gotten my truck to being mechanically sound. Oh yeah and the reason for my stalling issue was that the fitting for plugging in the front o2 sensor had snapped off, I bought a new o2 sensor and it stays running in all gears now. 4wd works good still and she drives like a champ.

Overall, my recommendation would be a trans flush, replace electronics, and inspect servos before completely dropping the transmission. As stated in my first post, I'm a junior in high school, this is my first transmission rebuild, and my auto teacher doesn't know anything at all about auto transmissions.

Thank you all very much for your help, it's been a hell of a ride. I couldn't have done it without all the information found on forums and https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-progress.htmlwas where I found most of the steps for rebuilding it. rocky_mtn_ram has a TON of good points on here and it's where I found most of the recommendations stated above. Thanks again and I hope this can help some people in the future.

Quick Reply: Torque Converter