2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front frame rail replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 05:47 PM
leahyhfarms
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front frame rail replacement

As the title says I am going to replace a section of the front frame rails as it has rotten thru. The last time I was state side I was at a junk yard and got good rails. Now my question is, it was from a 2000 1500 2 wd but the idler arm is different in that it is held on with 2 bolts that are bigger than is on my truck. Does anyone know if the ball joint part is the same size on the 2000 truck verses the 1994. I must get a few pictures of what I am talking about. If you look up the idler arm on rock auto there is different part numbers for the 94 and 00, but it gives no measurements.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:07 PM
leahyhfarms
Rookie
Unhappy

I ve up loaded some pictures of my frame rail and idler arm bolts to the gallery section as I could not get them to up load on this post.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Wow, that is pretty crusty..... As for the idler arm, I don't know of anywhere that actually publishes dimensions for them..... might check with a local parts store, and see if they have them on the shelf, and get your measurement there.

Better reinforce the weld REAL good on the backside....... Having them separate while driving would be WAY too exciting.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:10 AM
leahyhfarms
Rookie

It is bad. A plate on the inside and drill a few holes and weld like crazy.It is the only part of the truck that is in bad shape as the body is in very good condition and the rest of frame is perfect. All that caused it to rot is that it's the low point and the dirt and water lay there. When I put in the new section I will be drilling a hole to let the water etc out.

Quick Reply: Front frame rail replacement