2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Opinons on my upgrade list

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 04:20 PM
Dalton Joshua Kramer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinons on my upgrade list

Hey everyone this will be my first post on here, just wanting to get some opinions and advice on my build for my 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L 4x4.

A little backstory my uncle bought this truck brand new in 2000, when I was about 7 or 8 and I fell in love with it. Finally 2 years ago I talked him into selling it to me Since buying it all I have done is a cat back flowmaster exhaust (my baby will wake the dead lol) transmission rebuild with transgo shift kit, and a few appearance upgrades. So other than that she is all stock. I finally got my short term build list put together and wanted some input whether it be different brands or a better route to go. So all that said heres the list.
1. Hughes Plenum kit
2. Fastman TB
3. Spectre Cold Air Intake.
4. JBA cat4ward shortie headers
5. Flowmaster direct fit cat
6. Edge Evolution CTS2 programmer
7. 180 degree thermostat.

Anyone have any input on my list and expected performance boosts? Thanks in advance!

Attached Thumbnails Opinons on my upgrade list-snapchat-4879082757894655441.jpg  
Old 08-05-2016, 04:34 PM
Dalton Joshua Kramer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

P.S. I apologize if this wasn't the right place for this thread lol

Old 08-05-2016, 06:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Skip the cold air intake, and just go with a cleanable filter. Either the Spectre, or the K&N feller. 99% of the cold air kits draw air from the exact same place that the stock system does, and don't really flow any better in the RPM range you are using 99.9999999% of the time.

The Edge Programmer is for a diesel...... If you want a tuner, get one from Flyin' Ryan, or Hemifever.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:23 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Replace the plenum gasket.

Get a SCT.

Being a 2000 means that it should have a single in/single out cat meaning that you could get an $80 universal Magnaflow.

The throttle body doesn't do much.

The Headers don't do much but they do make it a pain to get at #4 and #8 spark plugs. I spent like $130 on my ebay headers and they look just like the JBA headers.

Gears will give you more go juice than any of that if you're riding on 3.55's.

If you do get some headers like those then do yourself a favor and buy a cheap wrench and modify it like this
I cut off the open end at an angle then flipped and welded it back on. I also hammered down the closed end so it's flat like the rest of the wrench instead of kicked up at an angle like normal.

And yes that is a crack in my cheapie headers. My y-pipe didn't fit right so it put a lot of stress on them from day one. The crack is welded shut and the y-pipe fits good now though so no problem.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 08-05-2016 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinons on my upgrade list