3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

From 15 to 20's.... MPG that is...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Blu3P0ny
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From 15 to 20's.... MPG that is...

05 V8 QuadCab SLT 4x4
I currently am getting 14.5 mpg in the winter. I understand it's winter, so no sweat. I get about 16 mpg in the summer. This is all average, and calculated EVERY tank by dividing the miles on the trip by the gallons put in the tank. EVERY tank.
My goal is to get from this measly little 15 mpg up to 20 mpg, and still have the capabilities that I need on a daily basis. I pull a 27' camper a couple times a year. I haul "stuff" to jobsites often in the bed of the truck, as I work construction (masonry) and my uncle is the boss. I also need the 4x4 to get to some of those jobs, as well as it's very snowy here in Indiana (Lake Michigan, I hate you) so lowering is ALSO out of the question. I also have 1500lb helper springs added on, a brake controller and wiring for the trailer. I haul people a lot.... a lot. TY for Quad cab trucks. One last thing... I have a fiberglass cover that is lockable for the tools I lug around for work. Soft cover WILL NOT cut it as I have been broken into before when i had those.

Tactics and methods:
I will document each thing that I do, here.
1. CAI - Incomplete, I want to make a heat-shield (scrapped for winter time - faster warmup times = better mpg)
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ood-or-no.html
2. Purchased New tires - filled with helium, setting to 38 lbs instead of 35
http://www.michelinman.com/tire-sele...dial-lt2-tires
3. Cleaned out extra STUFF, including a bunch of scrap metal, extra clothes, etc.
4. Warmer weather and kept truck in garage a few times instead of wife...make about 1mpg difference combined!

__________________________________________________ _

Current Questions and plans:
Help me out with ideas and concepts.
1. TB - buy or port myself?
2. Exhaust - custom fab or kit? Probably will only do cat back?
3. Diff/tranny fluids - Plan on doing this soon, almost 100k miles
4. Weight savings? No bedliner currently. Disk brake conversion in rear?
What else could I realistically do?
*NEW* Truck weighed in at 5260lbs with me, lunchbox/water, extra shoes, extra coat, and about 30lbs of tools. I weighed in at 243lbs today. Truck weight 4960
5. Aerodynamics?
- a. Large scoop under front of truck going to radiator needed?
- b. Make air dam in front? (thinking like current durango)
- c. Underbody Aerodynamics?
- d. Tire Spats? http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2456/article.html
- e. Shorter Antenna?
- f. Grill coverings? Maybe a "bar" type grill replacement where the bars are closer together? - testing a 1/4 grill block
- g. Close off the two skinny wide openings in bumper? I don't have hooks, so pointless? - in testing....
- h. Cowl hood? http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ics-16219.html
6. Chip/Tuner?
7. CAM?! :O
8. Am I missing something?

CURRENT MPG: 14.3 NOW 17.2!!!!!
Thanks guys! And I'll test each thing individually from here forward!!!
Blu3

Last edited by Blu3P0ny; 04-15-2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: updates
Old 03-02-2011, 01:39 PM
gjmoran
Captain

gear upgrade from 3.55 to 3.92, bigger tb, high flow exhaust system (bigger pipes/headers/high flow cats/free flow muffler).....lighter foot i dunno about anything else. i have the CAI and i havent noticed an increase really in mpg, i did notice it when i kept my foot off the floor though lol.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Blu3P0ny
Professional

As for the exhaust, I am thinking of coming off of the Y-pipe with 2.5" exhaust and having just a simple through-type muffler of some sort with minimal restriction and putting it out right in front of the rear, OR, buying a kit which would put it out right behind the rear. This should put the powerband a bit higher, which may not be bad for normal driving, but towing I may need to put down the gas pedal a bit more. I towed a 3500lb trailer the other day and I loved getting on it and seeing what my truck could do. You'd be surprised!!!

Also, with the CAI (since I test it every tank) it seemed if i just drove "normal" instead of keeping my foot out of it, i actually did BETTER. However, I did the math on my cai, and it was focused on a 4000 rpm -5k rpm range. Keeping the rpms UNDER 2k actually did worse than letting it go up to 2500. Going up to 3k rpms, however, was less. Of course, this is also pulling a lot of weight, so I think the higher rpms helped just pull the truck as well.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:44 PM
rengnath
Champion

If youre serious about MPGs and you tow, why not get a diesel?

How I see modifications for gas mileage; by the time you spend all the money and time on making it all work, you couldve just bought the gas.

Youre fiberglass cover probably isnt doing much for mileage; you would probably be better off with a retractable locking cover. Those fiberglass covers arent light.

You could add a skid plate to the front to get air to go around that front frame that hangs low.

I have a 3.5" shorty antenna. Not sure what it added for MPGs, but Im guessing about 10rwhp on the butt dyno. Kidding

To reduce weight, never fill up your tank with gas.

You can increase tire pressure, but if your tire doesnt ride flat on the ground they will start prematurly wearing, and tires are still more than gas.

If you dont mind giving up comfort, you can remove the A/C from the truck and the clutch fan. Replace the clutch fan with an efan.

You could do the bored TB, I would stay away from fastman and I would pair it with a SC transmission tune. From what I can tell, the stock truck bogs itself down by wanting to get in to OD as fast as possible. A tune where you drag out the shifts while feathering the gas should give you better mileage.

Only other thing I can think of is cut a 2x2 in the floor in front of each seat. Have everyone help flinstone the truck. No one rides for free.

IMO, you chose the wrong vehical for gas mileage. If youre looking for 20mpgs in the city, good luck. Highway mileage is possible, but not under load.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Fitz-C
Rookie

the best modification is your right foot

Old 03-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Blu3P0ny
Professional

Originally Posted by rengnath
If youre serious about MPGs and you tow, why not get a diesel?

How I see modifications for gas mileage; by the time you spend all the money and time on making it all work, you couldve just bought the gas.

Youre fiberglass cover probably isnt doing much for mileage; you would probably be better off with a retractable locking cover. Those fiberglass covers arent light.

You could add a skid plate to the front to get air to go around that front frame that hangs low.

I have a 3.5" shorty antenna. Not sure what it added for MPGs, but Im guessing about 10rwhp on the butt dyno. Kidding

To reduce weight, never fill up your tank with gas.

You can increase tire pressure, but if your tire doesnt ride flat on the ground they will start prematurly wearing, and tires are still more than gas.

If you dont mind giving up comfort, you can remove the A/C from the truck and the clutch fan. Replace the clutch fan with an efan.

You could do the bored TB, I would stay away from fastman and I would pair it with a SC transmission tune. From what I can tell, the stock truck bogs itself down by wanting to get in to OD as fast as possible. A tune where you drag out the shifts while feathering the gas should give you better mileage.

Only other thing I can think of is cut a 2x2 in the floor in front of each seat. Have everyone help flinstone the truck. No one rides for free.

IMO, you chose the wrong vehical for gas mileage. If youre looking for 20mpgs in the city, good luck. Highway mileage is possible, but not under load.

LOL some funny stuff in there!
Yes, the price of stuff is obviously going to matter. Buying another truck altogether is not going to happen. I tow 3-4 times a year and not THAT far, so the dak is good at those once in awhile tows.

Like I stated above, the fiberglass cover is more for locking up tools (Partner gas saws are about 1200-1400 a piece, diamond blades for them, drills, etc.) even though this is usually only a toolbox full of my own hand tools, it HAS to be there for when I drive to other jobs (stuff has been stolen, and I make these trips at least once a week)

The electric fan is something I could look at for sure.
I can't imagine going from 35 to 38 psi would make a wear difference on these tires... they have a large contact pad, but i'll do a burnout just to check the wear pattern after I raise the pressure (not really, just being stupid about the tire wear)

As for that antenna, well shoot, i want it now!!!

And for the flinstone effect... It just wouldn't be that effective at highways speeds I would think....

20mpg city? no
20 mpg average, why not?
I think with a couple items anyone can reach 20 mpg highway. I think that where I live in paticular is to my benefit here. Somewhat country roads out here means I typically travel half of my trip over 50 mph.
I wonder if my gps could average my speed over a trip for me? That would be pretty slick! (tom tom xl something)

Old 03-02-2011, 03:55 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

I drive a 50 mile round trip on the same road every day, barely any hills, just gradual rises here and there. I have done everything from going exactly 65, to "granny"ing it for a whole tank and a bunch of other stuff (have not tried shutting it down at stop lights yet) and I can never manage anything above 17.5, for highway driving. I have a cai, single/dual muffler, superchips with the trans tuning, bed cover, and air my tires to 44 psi. Have not seen anything dramatic aftecting my mileage (except winter blend gas, which makes my mileage suck). I average @ 16 now so I'm happy with that. Still within the stated MPG claim for these trucks (14 city, 18 highway)

Old 03-02-2011, 04:36 PM
KS Cowboy
Veteran
Unhappy

I hear ya on the bad fuel milage. I got my v8 back in november, and i am getin scared if it keeps suckin gas down like it does now. Being full-time 4x4 doesnt help. I am gonna start lookin at getin into some mods for this darn thing, but i dont want to void the extended warranty i bought, so ill keep-er stock for now, but once the warranty is out, its open season on mods for the truck.

One id love to put in is this: http://cumminsengines.com/every/appl...sf38_lcv.page? If ya could afford to do it, it might be a good option.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:02 PM
ruger226
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E-fan you can get a hhr fan off ebay for like $60.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the most gas millage increase would be changing the front hubs on our truck to manual hubs so the front end does not spin the entire time. I have seen conversions done on old ram trucks and it added almost 4 mpg. I have not done the research on this, but I think it might have been a solid front axle.

Quick Reply: From 15 to 20's.... MPG that is...