3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

truck died and wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:01 PM
gjmoran
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so dealer called me back just now, he said that they hooked it up to the code scanner and there was 11 codes thrown and that hes never seen that many from any car all at once. he thinks there is something wrong with the pcm. he kept trying to say i hooked up a programmer/chip to the car since they noticed i have a ported throttlebody lol. waiting to hear back and see if they replace the pcm or not.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:31 PM
gjmoran
Captain

they are suggesting a reprogramming of the pcm and if i still have problems after that then they will replace the pcm

Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 AM
gjmoran
Captain

welp had the pcm reflashed and still died the very next afternoon. taking it to another dealership to let them have a crack at it. this truck is wearing my patience very thin

Old 09-24-2012, 09:30 PM
wingman_214
Veteran

I had that same issue not 2 months ago.

Trace the harness from the IAC down to where it joins the main harness and follow it to where it crosses over the driver side valve cover and over the transmission.

While the truck was idling I could push that portion of the harness into the firewall and recreate the problem with 100% accuracy.

After a trip the to mechanic to rewire the IAC from the pigtail at the valve to the pin on the ECM. NO MORE ISSUES.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:06 AM
gjmoran
Captain

yea this other dealer said they found some faulty wiring in the harness and is getting the warranty center to approve the repairs today.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:43 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's amazing how some dealers will work with you and others just blame you

Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 AM
gjmoran
Captain

yep. they are replacing the entire engine wiring harness, costing carmax 1800$

Old 09-28-2012, 02:07 PM
gjmoran
Captain

ok just wanted to give u all an update on my truck.

i figured i might as well get as much stuff looked at and repaired under warranty that i can while its in there and my company is letting me use the company truck until my truck is fixed.

they found some more problems with the pcm after replacing the entire engine harness, so they are replacing the pcm. also had them look at my exhaust manifold for a leak cause i could hear it in the morning, they found one of the exhaust manifold bolts snapped off in the cylinder head and they have to drill it out to fix the leak.

thank god for the master mechanics at this dealer, the other dealer sucked fat donkey *******.

so far all the repairs are costing my carmax warranty over $3000. i would have to pay a $50 deductible but the dealer is waiving the fee because i had to pay that other dealer to not fix anything.

i am also having them look at my transmission because i have some jerkiness when the truck shifts into cruise mode on the highway, and they are also looking into the overheating problem.

thank MFing god for the extended warranty, sure glad i decided to get it now. its well paid for itself now.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:14 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Thats awesome! Glad carmax is honoring the warranty. Many times these 3rd party warranty companies will spend as much money as a repair would cost fighting not doing the repair.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:13 PM
gjmoran
Captain

giving u another update, got my truck back yesterday and it seems to be pretty good. all the new wiring is very pretty lol, the exhaust sounds amazing now as well. also i got a call from the original dealership after i sent them a really nasty email and left negative reviews for them on several public websites. it was from the service manager apologizing and kissing my *** for his employee not taking the time to listen to me and spend some real time trying to fix my truck other than pointing the finger at me for my aftermarket parts.

after apologizing he said he is refunding the $50 i paid for my warranty deductible since they were not able to fix anything.

FEELS GOOD

Quick Reply: truck died and wont idle