3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 dakota running warmer

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 06:32 PM
jonathanbalzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 dakota running warmer

I have a 2005 4.7l dakota. When we first bought the truck it came with a towing package and some extra things to keep the truck cooler while towing.

Well it doesnt get used as anything more than a light duty farm truck and minor commute of 15 miles to work.

It used to run at about 2/3 of the way to the between the low and half way mark. Then about a year ago the water pump blew up.

I had a shop do the work to replace the water pump. After that the temperature stayed about 2 needle thicknesses below the half mark if that makes sense. I called the shop the recommend swapping the thermostat. So i went and switched it out with a 190 degree failsafe thermostat.

Temperature continued to get closer to half. So then we checked to make sure the temp sensor was actually reading properly. Swapped that out, brought it closer to half. After alot of research decided we would swap the radiator because when starting the truck while warm it would jump up to about a third above the half.

When we pulled it out it was caked full of crud and was kinda rusty. Flushed the system and put new coolant in and purged the air out of the system. The system is alittle cooler back too about 2 needles below half while moving at high speeds but sits on half when idling.

The whole coolant system seems to have been replaced and still runs warmee than when it was new. Im debating putting a 180degree thermostat but i have nothing to know if something else in the system is causing it to run warm.

Can anyone else throw out any other ideas of what else could be wrong causing it to run warmer?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:10 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

A needle width below the half mark is normal, I would only worry when steadily above the half way mark.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 AM
mlarson29
Rookie

sounds fine to me my runs just under the half way mark. these gauges are usually in no way accurate and can be off. as long as its running half or under that is a normal temp.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:33 AM
kenttt
Professional

When it's hot and idling, check the engine temperature w/an IR (non-contact) theremometer. If it's not over 200º don't worry about it.

Quick Reply: 05 dakota running warmer